Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guillen: Old-school or douchebag?

Guillen: Old-school or douchebag?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2485365

White Sox rookie pitcher Sean Tracey got into hot water with his manager Ozzie Guillen -- for getting an out.

Tracey was summoned to start the seventh inning and got Hank Blalock to ground out, but getting an out might not have been the reason Tracey was brought into the game. White Sox catcher A.J. Pierzynski was hit by two pitches in the game and a source told the Chicago Sun-Times that Tracey was told to hit Blalock as retaliation. Tracey threw two inside pitches to Blalock before getting him to ground out.

After getting the out, Tracey was removed from the game. Guillen slammed a water bottle to the ground when Blalock grounded out and the manager then brought Agustin Montero in to pitch. Guillen was then seen in the dugout barking at Tracey, who pulled the collar of his jersey over his head.

Tracey was demoted to Triple-A on Thursday after the White Sox acquired reliever David Riske from the Red Sox in exchange for minor league reliever Javier Lopez.

Seriously, it's understandable to ask a pitcher to hit a batter in retaliation. Personally, I don't think the emotional lift or whatever is worth the base given and potential ejection/suspension, that's just me.

However, should any coach be so immature to

A. Chew out a pitcher in public for getting an out
    and
    B. Have the GM demote Tracey, who was doing well (4.2 IP, 3.86 ERA), and have a trade for Riske come about, because he failed to hit a batter, instead getting him out?

Come on!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    douchebag.

big old douchebag.

****ing douchebag and a half.

you could stick him in 1000 vaginas and they would all be sparkly clean and he would have juice left to give.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's just making sure everyone is aware of his schtick. It's going out of style like disco.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I <3 Ozzie.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    douchebag.

big old douchebag.

****ing douchebag and a half.

you could stick him in 1000 vaginas and they would all be sparkly clean and he would have juice left to give.
    Yep, you said it all McKain

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say he's a douche. He's more like a can of feminine deodorant spray.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Wow he needs to go to hell. I hope this pitcher leavces the Sox then ****ing drills a player just to stick it to Ozzie. WHat a *****.

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    He's not old enough to be old-school.....so he must be a deutschbag......
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

And, drug problems aside, MLB wonders why people are no longer attracted to the game. Because guys like Guillen chew a guy out for helping his team, and not getting himself thrown out/fined/suspended, and then have the GM send him down when he is not doing half bad. I see a big problem there.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    kid should have slugged him. i would have.

ozzie is a douche, but thats not really news.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ozzie was a jackass for screaming at rookie Sean Tracey after Tracey got Blalock ground out instead of in an stretcher. If Ozzie had the balls and if revenge meant that much to him, he should've sent Bobby Jenks and his upper-90s fastball to go after Blalock. Kenny Williams's always been Jerry Reinsdorf's puppet and apparently, Williams is Ozzie's too.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If anyone watches mike and mike in the morning, or listens to it, did you hear Mike Golic going off on people who emailed various comments similar to what you guys have said? What the **** does a former average NFL lineman know about baseball anyways?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    So that's why he got pulled out of the game. Well, I can't blame Ozzie for getting mad. He sends a kid with a mid 90s fastball out specifically to plunk a guy and get ejected after Pierzynski had been hit twice in the game (thus the warnings, and it's total bullshit that both clubs get warnings), and he can't pull it off? What's Ozzie supposed to say? "Nice try kid"? Screw that. If he's told to hit the batter and he can't do it, he deserves to get chewed out. It doesn't matter that he got the out, because that's not what he was sent out to do. He was sent out to deliver a message that needs to be sent, which is: DON'T HIT OUR ****ING PLAYERS!
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Maybe it's just me, but refusing to get an ejection and likely suspension because the manager is a hothead for a young player seems to be smart to me. And any negative psychological effect that resulted from not hitting Blalock has to be dwarfed by the negative psychological effect of your own teammate being embarassed by being chewed out by a manager in public and then being send down for not doing something to start a brawl.

Oh, and I'm waiting for Ozzie Guillen's two game suspension. Torre got one for RJ plunking a guy, Ozzie should get twice as much for two attempts

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast