Thread: M's Finally Have A Manager

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mariners M's Finally Have A Manager

ESPN - Source: Seattle Mariners to name Don Wakamatsu as manager

Interesting choice here since I have never heard of him. He was the bench coach for the Rangers for three season and was with the A's last season. He is used to the AL West that's for sure. Mariners can now get a game plan for this offseason going now. Ranger and A's fans please give any info on this man.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: M's Finally Have A Manager

He has a lot of expierence with the AL West from what I understand. All 7 of his interviews were with guys that didn't have ANY managerial experience at all, cept maybe Riggleman.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Wakamatsu, who was born in Hood River, Ore., says he knows only a little Japanese -- always a consideration in Seattle, where All-Star Ichiro Suzuki is the franchise cornerstone -- though it has improved recently with the A's and Rangers.
    A move made to please Ichiro?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He also played college ball with Barry Bonds.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What would please Ichiro is to get him some guys who can hit a god damn baseball and not give 700 ABs to powerhouses like Miguel Cairo, Willie Bloomquist and Jose Vidro.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

America got its first black president and MLB got its first Asian-American manager. Change is already coming

MLB ERA

Anyone else think this could be a nod to Junichi Tazawa, the 22 yr old Japanese pitcher who I believe is looking to come to MLB?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Seattle Mariners have hired Ty Van Burkleo as bench coach and Lee Tinsley as first base coach.

New Mariners manager Don Wakamatsu said Monday that he is bringing Van Burkleo with him from Oakland. Van Burkleo was in his second season as the hitting coach for the Athletics in 2008, while Wakamatsu was the bench coach for the A's.

Tinsley spent last season as the first base coach and outfield coach for the Arizona Diamondbacks.

When they begin spring training in February, the Mariners will have a new general manager, new manager and entirely new coaching staff from the one that began 2008.
    Hopefully for the M's sake, this clean slate will result in a better result than last year's disappointing finish.

AA ERA

Good ole Lee Tinsley, he's from the same hometown as me. I didn't even realize he was still involved in baseball.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett