Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LTR's Giant Offseason

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: LTR's Giant Offseason

According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants met with Andrew Miller on Tuesday.
    The 25-year-old left-hander has a 5.84 ERA over his first 79 major league appearances, but he wouldn't be a bad option to have in reserve at Triple-A Fresno. The former first-round pick has reportedly drawn interest from multiple teams since being non-tendered by the Red Sox last week.
    I wouldn't mind having him as depth in AAA.

MLB ERA

Don't know if you forgot, but the Giants did resign Burrell to a one year contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No, I didn't forget. I was just unhappy about it. Right after we signed him and created a logjam in the OF, Willingham was put on the trade block. I much rather have Willingham than Burrell but since its only $1 million, I can't get too upset.

Andrew Miller signed with the Red Sox today so there goes that. We need depth at AAA.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants signed Guillermo Mota to a minor league deal. I was shocked to see Colletti not sign him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Rangers DFA'd Max Ramirez today and I think the Giants should take a look at getting him. He has decent numbers but his defense has always been in question. He would be good to have as depth in AAA. Max is only 25 so not all is lost and if anything they could move him to another position.

MLB ERA

What position does he play?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He's a catcher

MLB ERA

Since he's a catcher I'm sure he has to have an average arm atleast if not bettter, so maybe a SS, RF, and CF?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I really haven't seen him play much but definitely not a SS.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rich Aurilia told Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle that Pablo Sandoval said he has lost 17 pounds this winter.
    "When I saw him he looked great. He really did," said Aurilia. "I think his mind-set hopefully has changed in a sense that he knows what's at stake not only for the team but his own individual health and career. That's where the maturity process has to come, when you as an individual have to decide to do whatever you can to help your team and help yourself." Of course, there were similar reports about Sandoval last winter, but he deviated from his diet and came to spring training overweight. "Best Shape of His Life" stories will become commonplace in the days ahead, but we're cautiously optimistic right now.
    I really want to hear more about him becoming a better hitter than him losing weight.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jose Veras has minor league offers from the Giants, Rockies, Twins, Marlins, Rays and Pirates, according to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes.
    Veras was non-tendered by the Marlins earlier this winter despite registering a strong 3.75 ERA and 1.27 WHIP over 48 innings last season in south Florida. The Fish simply didn't want to pay him a big raise over the $550,000 that he earned in 2010, but it appears that they do indeed want him back. He would fit in as a middle reliever on any of the clubs named above.
    I do like the depth and the Giants have pretty much haven't done a fucking thing this offseason getting any sort of pitching depth.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants and OF Cody Ross avoided arbitration Tuesday by agreeing to a one-year, $6.3 million contract.
    Ross made $4 million last season and will get a major boost in his final year of arbitration eligibility. He was excellent on the Giants' run to the World Series title last October, but the 30-year-old batted just .269 with a .735 OPS during the regular season and probably won't make a ton of noise this year in San Francisco.
    A $2.3 million raise is a bit much for a guy whose numbers were down last year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants and LHP Jonathan Sanchez avoided arbitration Tuesday by agreeing to a one-year, $4.8 million contract.
    Sanchez made $2.1 million in 2010 but was due a noticeable raise after posting a 3.07 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 205 strikeouts over 193 1/3 innings. His velocity was down towards the end of the season after he threw a career high in innings, but he should be fine entering spring training.
    He looked awful in the playoffs so hopefully this time off will help regain his velocity. His control is still a problem too but I like this raise a lot better than the Ross one.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants have agreed to terms with right-hander Marc Kroon on a minor league contract with an invitation to Spring Training according to Tom Krasovic of AOL FanHouse. He has spent the last six years pitching in Japan and will compete for a bullpen job.

Kroon, 38 in April, was a star closer for the Yokohama Bay Stars and Yomiuri Giants, striking out 12.3 batters per nine innings. He broke his own record for the fastest pitch in Japanese baseball history when he uncorked a 101 mph fastball three years ago. A former second round pick of the Mets, he pitched sparingly for the Padres, Reds, and Rockies in his career, posting a 7.43 ERA in just 26 2/3 big league innings.

The Bronx-born Kroon earned himself more than $13MM during his time in Japan.
    Looks like he will be battling with Mota and Suppan for a bullpen spot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12