Thread: Barry Bonds wants to be hitting coach

MLB ERA

Barry Bonds wants to be hitting coach

SAN FRANCISCO -- Barry Bonds broke Mark McGwire's single-season home run record. Now he wants to follow Big Mac into the coaching profession some day.Bonds spoke just outside the San Francisco Giants' clubhouse before Game 1 of the World Series against the Texas Rangers on Wednesday night.
    "I love being home. I love being here," he said.
    [+] EnlargeAP Photo/Jeff ChiuBarry Bonds talks to fans during the third inning of the World Series on Wednesday. Before the game, Bonds said he'd like to get into coaching.

When asked if he'd like to do more than just cheer on his former team in the future, Bonds said he would be interested in becoming a hitting coach in the future.
    "I have a gift and sooner or later I have to give it away," Bonds said. "I have to share it. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity here."
    Bonds broke McGwire's single-season home run record with 73 in 2001 and went on to surpass Hank Aaron's career mark of 755 in his final season in 2007. The seven-time NL MVP hit 762 career home runs.
    McGwire, who retired in 2001, returned to the game this season, back in uniform as hitting coach for the St. Louis Cardinals. The team announced earlier this week that he would be back for a second season.
    Before the start of his first spring training as a coach, McGwire ended years of denials and a self-imposed exile by admitting that he had used steroids and human growth hormone on and off for a decade, starting before the 1990 season and including when he broke Roger Maris' single-season home run record in 1998.
    Bonds, 46, has also been accused of taking steroids. He is scheduled to go to trial in March on charges that he lied to a federal grand jury in 2003 when he denied knowingly taking steroids.

WORLD SERIES: RANGERS VS. GIANTS

Complete coverage of the Rangers-Giants matchup. More
    Rangers Blog » ESPNDallas.com »

Bonds, who has never officially announced his retirement, still holds season tickets in San Francisco but has made infrequent visits back to his old ballpark. This was his third trip this season. He came back in April for a reunion of the 2000 NL West champions and last week to throw out the ceremonial first pitch during the NL championship series against Philadelphia.While there are only a handful of Giants left from his final season in 2007, Bonds said he knows most of the players and has enjoyed watching the team make the postseason for the first time since his departure.
    He said it would mean a lot to the city if the Giants could win their first World Series title since moving to San Francisco in 1958.

Hey if McGwire can do it, I don't see a problem with it.

MLB ERA

Re: Barry Bonds wants to be hitting coach

I don't think there's any problem with either of them being coaches, provided, as with every other coach they do their jobs the right way and don't promote or aid in the use of any kinda of PED's. But that goes without saying.

MLB ERA

Best part of this article is the picture. Of ALL the Bonds pictures ESPN has access to, they picked that one
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Rookie ERA

i'd imagine he'd be a pretty good coach as he's been both a thin doubles hitter and a huge over medicated home run hitter. Talk about two polar extremes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Do you guys really think he will come clean like McGwire did? I sure as hell don't think so. That will be the only thing keeping him from coaching. I'd love to see it but it just ain't happening.

MLB ERA

Did MLB force McGwire to admit to using, or was it LaRussa's suggested prerequisite to the hiring? If it was LaRussa's opinion, it may not matter, Bonds may be able to coach without coming clean.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pirates could use something worth noting, maybe they should hire him.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Best part of this article is the picture. Of ALL the Bonds pictures ESPN has access to, they picked that one

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Golem, is that you?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Did MLB force McGwire to admit to using, or was it LaRussa's suggested prerequisite to the hiring? If it was LaRussa's opinion, it may not matter, Bonds may be able to coach without coming clean.
    Pretty sure it was McGwire's doing just so it wouldn't be such a distraction and have reporters hound the clubhouse all season.

MLB ERA

That's what I thought. I mean, conceivably, Bonds could be hired as hitting coach and never admit to PED use, perjury, general dickishness, jaywalking or anything else. You could argue not admitting it would be a distraction, but that'd be up to him and the Giants front office. If they're even interested, that is.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I can just see Pedro Gomez following Bonds around everyday again.

MLB ERA

I'm sure Pedro would take his old job of "Bonds Watch" back...