Thread: Players We Could Have Had

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Players We Could Have Had

This is a list of players the Giants could have had if Sabean had just a little more patience and didn't go after the wonderful Mike Fontenot and Jose Guillen.

Brad Hawpe- Hawpe is having an awful year but he could have been had on the cheap and he knows this division like no other. Hawpe has just 7 HRs and a .776 OPS but he is still a better defender than Guillen and would be a nice lefthanded bat in the Giants lineup. Maybe with a little more playing time and a fresh team he could liven up his bat.

Kelly Johnson- What? A second baseman that can hit something other than singles? Johnson has 19 HRs and an .872 OPS and he too has played in our division all year. Johnson also bats from the left side and would be a perfect fit for this Giants club. Sabean really missed out on him but its not too late.

Adam LaRoche- We all know LaRoche didn't want to play in SF and chose AZ over us but that's all in the past and we could have used him. Who wouldn't like to go from dead last in the division to right in the thick of a playoff chase? LaRoche possesses a good glove and has 21 HRs and 77 RBI. We really could use his offense and defense.

Lyle Overbay- Overbay is much like LaRoche but with less power. Overbay also has a good glove and lefthanded but could really attack the gaps at AT&T. He has 27 doubles to go along with 13 HRs. Put a guy like him in the bottom half of our order and he could do some damage.

Derrek Lee- He was just traded to the Braves but we could have had him if we wanted him. Unlike everyone I've mentioned so far, he is a righty. He too has a good glove at first and could have come relatively cheap as the Braves gave up three prospects but I think we could have done better. Lee has hit 16 HRs this year but has been banged up a lot too. Giants sure could have used him.

Every single player here would have been a much better option than what we got. Guillen has done well with the bat so far but he is not doing us any favors in RF. If we got either LaRoche, Lee or Overbay, Huff would have stayed in RF. Huff is not track star either but has done a good job. Hawpe would have been the ideal candidate for RF since he has played there and has experience playing AT&T's quirky RF. Johnson would be head and shoulders over anyone we have, Sanchez and Fontenot combined. If I were the Giants, I would still try and get Johnson. Fontenot can be released for all I care. Sabean was impatient and got him stuck with some pretty bad talent. I'm sure this list will grow. Wonder when we are going to hear about Rowand passing through waivers?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Players We Could Have Had

Has Guillen's defense really degraded that much? When he was with the Reds I remembered him to be above-average with a great arm. Not spectacular, but he got the job done.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well you can still have Brad Hawpe. Soon.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Has Guillen's defense really degraded that much? When he was with the Reds I remembered him to be above-average with a great arm. Not spectacular, but he got the job done.
    He's still got the arm but last night there was a ball hit that any average RFer should and could have cut off but instead it went to the wall for a triple. Guillen was bothered by a quad injury in KC and it looks like it hasn't healed because this guy is slower than slow. We're talking Molina-like. We need run prevention right now and giving up extra bases like that is not going to hold up. He's going to have to keep hitting like he has but with men on base if its going to make up for his dreadful defense.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash View Post
    Well you can still have Brad Hawpe. Soon.
    We have no room for Hawpe now but I really want Johnson. Let the Dbacks have Fontenot
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 08-19-2010 at 09:48 AM.