Thread: Giants @ Marlins - 3-game series

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Giants Giants @ Marlins - 3-game series

God knows why I'm doing this (a series thread for a team I despise), but I guess I feel somewhat obliged to do so, seeing as though reefer's been MIA as long as I have and the fact that I can see the ballpark from my apartment, so yeah it's kinda like a self-inflicted guilt trip I've placed upon myself, but enough about that. Here's the scoop:

Tuesday, May 4
    Tim Lincecum (4-0, 1.27 ERA) vs. Anibal Sanchez (1-2, 432 ERA)

In his last start, Lincecum was just three outs away from winning his first five starts of the season, but Bochy pulled him out in favor of Wilson, who promptly blew the lead and gave away Lincecum's "assured" win. Other than that, Lincecum's pretty much been, well, Lincecum, much to the delight of every Giants member and the dismay of every opposing hitter. Sanchez lost in his last outing but showed good progress, allowing three runs (two earned) in 6 1/3 innings against the Padres. His pitches-strike ratio is improving, a key stat for the swing-happy Giants.

Wednesday, May 5
    Barry Zito (4-0, 1.53 ERA) vs. Nate Robertson (2-0, 5.18 ERA)

I had to take a double take when typing this after reading Zito's stats. 4-0 with a 1.53 ERA? Zito? As good as Lincecum? What the...? Well, it's the truth. He's been 0-7 his past two Aprils, and his personal four game winning streak is his longest since winning six straight back in 2006 during our (the A's) great run... Robertson is expected to pitch well, having exactly a week in between starts after pitching on short rest his last time out (a loss to the Padres, allowing five runs, all coming in the fifth inning).

Thursday, May 6
    Matt Cain (1-1, 2.84 ERA) vs. Ricky Nolasco (2-1, 4.01 ERA)

Cain finally got his first win of the season, after pitching eight shutout innings with eight Ks, one hit, and three walks against the Rockies (the eight shutout innings lowering his ERA by nearly a whole run). Nolasco claims that he wasn't himself during his last start, and it was evident things weren't right. He gave up five runs in four innings while striking out seven in a loss to the Nationals. Lifetime, he's 1-1 with a 1.13 ERA against San Fran.

I haven't been following any of the teams in the NL very closely with the exception of the Giants simply because they're the other hometown team. The Marlins have a 13-12 record while the Giants are 14-10, and I guess I can say I'll be rooting for the Giants, at least in two of the three games (care to guess which ones those are?). Giants should get a series win, provided their offense doesn't go on a dry spell and/or Bochy doesn't screw things up (again).

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants @ Marlins - 3-game series

"It's self-inflicted guilt trip inside"

but anyway, it sucks that Josh Johnson won't be pitching in this series.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Rowand was activated from the DL prior to Sunday's game after being sidelined with a fractured cheek (wtf?) suffered after being HBP a few weeks ago (oh nvm). Could start tonight's game, but no guarantees were made.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hot_corner_gurl View Post
    Rowand was activated from the DL prior to Sunday's game after being sidelined with a fractured cheek (wtf?) suffered after being HBP a few weeks ago (oh nvm).
    courtesy of Vicente Padilla the Nicaraguan headhunter.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    courtesy of Vicente Padilla the Nicaraguan headhunter.
    Padilla, eh? The same guy who gave up back-to-back-to-back home runs to the A's on three consecutive pitches four years ago? Didn't know he was still around...

0-0 tie in the third. Rowand is in the starting lineup, and has a walk so far. Lincecum has 5 K's already...

Strike that. 1-0 Giants lead on an RBI single by *drumroll please* Aaron Rowand. Figures.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Well Lincecum ends up with another ND after going seven and allowing three runs with 13 K's (Romo blew it for him). But even still, the Giants caught a break, as things unraveled for the Marlins (very) late in the game, and they held on for a 9-6 win in 12 innings, with Rowand going 3-for-5 with 3 RBIs in his return to the lineup.

Rookie ERA

Got to catch the end of the game tonight before mine starts. Zito pitched very well again.