Thread: Jason Schmidt's future

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jason Schmidt's future

A lot of rumors have been floating around about Schmidt. Some say the Red Sox and some say the O's. Here is what I think, Jason Schmidt will remain a Giant. The Giants need Schmidt and in a bad way. First off, the Giants need to keep people coming to the ballpark and Schmidt is a big draw. The attendance has been great but with the team struggling more and more, we need all the help we can get. Another reason why is the thin free agent market next year for pitchers. Giving up Schmidt makes no sense in that regard. The Giants have a $10 mil option for next year with a $3.5 buyout. A problem all year has been starting pitching. So why give up Schmidt who has been our best lately? My last reason is the asking price of Brian Sabean. I don't see teams giving Sabean what he wants for a pitcher with shoulder problems. 2006 is possibly Bonds' last year even though he recently said that he might play in 2007 to pass Aaron. 2006 is gonna be like this year was supposed to go, a bunch of veterans and young guys playing to win one for Barry and the city of San Francisco. Alou has already said he wanted to come back so he would join Barry, Omar, Matheny, Feliz, Benitez and possibly Alfonzo. Durham will be gone next so that will free up money. We need an ace to lead this team and a young rotation. Tomko and Rueter are most likely gone after this year leaving us with a young rotation. Schmidt would have to be the leader. Red Sox have nothing that I want, O's have some good promising pitchers but no proven ones and the Yanks have absolutley nothing we need. I just don't see a trade happeneing.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Agree that it doesn't make sense for the Giants to trade Schmidt if they want to contend next year. I'm sure the rest of the division wouldn't mind seeing Schmidt leave.

AA ERA
    $10 mil isn't a bad salary for Schmidt too. Makes sense to keep him.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle