Thread: Giants Are Getting A Big Bat

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Are Getting A Big Bat

It is official. The Giants purchased the contract of Jesus Guzman and optioned catcher Steve Holm. Guzman will be available tonight and DH tomorrow at Seattle. He will get some work at 1B after that. To make room on the 40-man, they will transfer an injured player to the 60-day DL.

Bruce Bochy said the team can DH Bengie Molina Sunday, and with a day off next week, they can go back to the 1.5-catcher scenario for a little while.

Juan Uribe will be activated tomorrow, so one more player will have to go.
    Guzman has been a beast in AAA hitting .363 with a .983 OPS. He has 6 HRs and 32 RBI so hopefully he can be a good DH for the Giants in interleague play and maybe even impress at first base but not likely. I don't think he is up for long but if he does well hitting, Ishikawa will have to start shitting his pants.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Are Getting A Big Bat

Guzman made his debut tonight and hit into an inning ending double play He's a true Giant

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Are Getting A Big Bat

Torres has been activated and first baseman Jesus Guzman was optioned to Fresno.

The Giants promoted Guzman with much fanfare, but Bochy said that with Pablo Sandoval likely to play first base when he returns from his elbow injury, "We're not at the point where we're going to get (Guzman) out there every day," and, "coming off the bench and playing once in awhile is not going to help him be a major-league player."

Guzman had one infield hit in 10 at-bats. He did not hit a ball out of the infield.

He did not seem too distressed about going down, saying, "I feel happy. This is the best baseball in the world, and I'm happy the San Francisco Giants gave me the opportunity. I'm going to Fresno right now. I want to play hard down there because I'm going to come back again. I want to come back again."
    So much for that big bat. Looks like we might be stuck with Uribe at third with Sandoval and Ishikawa platooning at first when Sandoval's elbow is better. Now the Giants need to be in the market for a third baseman. Maybe since we are looking at Uggla he could move to third. Frandsen will also help out at third.