Thread: "Giant" Concerns

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants "Giant" Concerns

This team is off to a 2-7 start which is good enough to be a game ahead of the Nationals for the worst team in the NL. They have been swept by the Padres and Dodgers in consecutive series and there is no indication things are going to get any better. Here is a top five list of the "Giant" concerns so far this season.

5. Starting Pitching- The Giants starters have a combined 7.42 ERA with hitters batting a whopping .295 against. I put this as the least biggest concern because I do think the pitching will turn around Too much talent not to. The main problem is pitcher's falling behind hitters early and constantly fighting themselves all game. Giants starters are tied for first in walks and 13th in in IP. Leadoff walks and homeruns have killed us so far this young season. This staff is going to have to start getting ahead of hitters and going deeper into games or else out bullpen will be shot by May.

4. Where are the walks?- In 321 plate appearances, the Giants have only 20 walks which is good for dead last in the NL. I am going to repeat that because it is so ****ing pathetic. Th Giants have just 20 walks in 321 plate appearances!! What are the Giants manager and coaches saying to these guys? How is an offense supposed to score if everyone is just hacking away instead of being patient? The Giants have got to start working counts and making the opposing pitchers work for their outs instead of just handing them outs. Of those 20 walks, two of them are intentional.

3. Defense- The Giants defense has looked unbearable. If you went by fielding percentage and errors, the Giants don't look so bad but they have the lowest amount of assists in the NL because the range is so terrible. Fred Lewis has looked like a blind man in the OF misjudging fly balls and taking terrible routes. He has costs us runs and in two cases so far he has likely cost us the game. Renteria and Sandoval have terrible range on the left side of the infield making it one of if not the worst left side in all of baseball. Manny Burriss is a SS playing second base and he too has looked terrible. Ishikawa, Winn and Molina are the only bright spots on defense. Even Aaron Rowand looks bigger than last year making him slower than last year. The Giants are missing Kevin Frandsen right now and it might be time to start realizing Nate Schierholtz is a better OFer than Lewis. The Giants defense is a great cause of concern.

2. Bruce Bochy- This man continues to amaze me. From his love affair with Eugenio Velez to his piss poor lineup ability, he baffles me. So far this year, Velez has 9 ABs, Schierholtz has just 4. That should be the other way around. Schierholtz is a line drive hitter who can hit for average, Velez is not. And lets not forget how they chose Burriss over Frandsen. Frandsen who has played second most of his career and has fantastic minor league numbers compared to a guy who has played just a little over a season at second who has mediocre numbers. Frandsen is the superior hitter and fielder but since he had a good ST, Frandsen is now in AAA playing SS because he is their best fielder and have no other SS. The other night against the Dodgers, he left Affeldt in to hit in the 8th after Rowand hit 3 run bomb. Who lets their reliever hit in the 8th inning with only a three run lead? Terrible management is what it comes down to really. Affeldt stayed in the game to face one batter after that until Howry came in to face nine batter and blow the game. All of this comes down to one man who simply cannot manage this ballclub. From allowing Molina to stay in the cleanup hole to giving Velez too many ABs, Bochy is our second greatest concern.

1. Offense- The offense is just atrocious and part of that is Bochy's fault but most of it is the players. They rank last in HRs, BBs, OBP and OPS. They rank second to last in Runs, SLG and total bases. They are 12th in BA and 3rd in strikeouts. Its as bad as it gets. I have already mentioned the walks so we know how much of a factor that it but the strikeouts are murder. This team looks no different than last year. Failing to advance runners, zero timely hitting and doing nothing with two outs. Giants are hitting .246 with RISP and 18 strikeouts. They have hit into 11 double plays so far and there have only been nine games!! The lack of power doesn't concern me but the lack of contact does. The lack of patience even more. Carney Lansford is going to have to do a major overhaul in this team's approach and Bochy is going to have to overhaul of the lineup to get any kind of offense. Nothing is working so changes need to be made. The Giants are in trouble if neither the pitching nor hitting turn around.

MLB ERA

Re: "Giant" Concerns

So basically they suck at everything right now
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: "Giant" Concerns

The bullpen has been a bright spot. Just haven't had any opportunities to win games. We steal bases too which is nice. Cain has been good as has Rowand and Winn. Very few bright spots though.