Thread: Giants Sign McPherson

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Sign McPherson

According to Henry Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Giants have signed Dallas McPherson to a minor league contract.
    McPherson, a former top prospect, was released by the Marlins at the end of spring training. The Giants will get him started at Triple-A Fresno. "There's always a hope in our minds than anyone in our minor-league system has an upside," VP of baseball operations Bobby Evans said Saturday when asked about the 28-year-old's potential. "It's hard to argue with his bat."
    Nice signing here. McPherson hit 41 HRs last year but he does strike out a lot as well. Nice backup in case something happens to Sandoval and it also allows guys like Gillaspie and Rohlinger to remain in the minors. Giants also have Jesus Guzman who can hit for power but he is likely going to remain playing at first. Giants need power and McPherson could provide some if an injury occurs.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants Sign McPherson

I love the signing. I was really hoping the Reds would take a flier on him given their need for some extra power. McPherson is pretty horrendous in the field, but he definitely has potential still with his bat. It would be a big addition if McPherson ever figured things out and turned out to be a .250 or so hitter with some nice pop coming from the backend of the lineup. But we have to be honest here that he is 28 going on 29 so realistically he doesn't have much time left, but he wouldn't be the first player to figure it out later.

I still don't believe that the Marlins only gave him 11 AB's.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post

I still don't believe that the Marlins only gave him 11 AB's.
    Cantu just hit too well.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I know that (sore spot for Reds fans like myself BTW who didn't believe the Reds let Cantu go like that) but McPherson hit 41 homers, you would think they would want to find out if he was legit or not and 11 AB's wouldn't do that. A team like the Marlins especially who likes their talent dirt cheap.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

True and it was a shame but the Marlins were doing just fine without him. To be honest, I don't McPherson getting a lot of playing time with the Giants either.