Thread: Giants Should Look Into Cards' Farm

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants Should Look Into Cards' Farm

This is taken from the Fort Worth Star-Telegram regarding a possible Micheal Young trade. The Giants need to take a look.

The Cardinals, only two years removed from a World Series title, have a top-10 minor-league system that includes three quality prospects at third base. David Freese hit .306 with 26 homers last season at Triple-A Memphis, and Allen Craig hit .304 with 22 homers at Double-A Springfield. Both, though, are stuck behind Troy Glaus on the big-league roster and another prospect, Brett Wallace.
    The Giants need corner infielders with power, the Cardinals need starting pitching and infield help. There has to be a fit here. The Giants have a lot of good, young arms and Jonathan Sanchez and Noah Lowry are definitely available. The Cards and Dave Duncan would love to get a guy like Sanchez. Freese is the closest thing to MLB ready. Freese isn't exactly the best defensive third baseman but neither is Sandoval. Freese is most likely better than Sandoval considering he has been playing there throughout his professional career. The Giants could then move Sandoval to first where he is better suited and Ishikawa can start in AAA or platoon with Sandoval. The Giants could sacrifice Sanchez or go with a package of a lesser talented pitcher and Burriss for Freese. The Giants can always sign Aurilia to be the utility man. The Giants are pretty thin at third base in the minors so getting a future third baseman would be ideal. Giants have the pieces to make this work. I just hope they read this article like I did.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants Should Look Into Cards' Farm

There is also the unwelcome irony for the Padres if the Freese happens to be a starter for the Giants. But of course I don't mind if Jonathan Sanchez stays in the Giants' rotation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Should Look Into Cards' Farm

I don't see irony in it but it would be funny. It also could be awful. We have the Padres former manager and he is plain awful. Dave Roberts was a Padre too and we know how that has gone. Maybe Freese could break the curse.