Thread: Latest On Lowry

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Latest On Lowry

Per mlb.com:
    The Giants have indicated that, barring setbacks, Lowry should be ready for the start of Spring Training. "He's in Arizona working out and doing well," head athletic trainer Dave Groeschner said recently, noting that Lowry has resumed playing catch and will continue to build arm strength. But a lot can happen between flat ground and the mound.

Giants general manager Brian Sabean won't allow himself to consider Lowry's comeback a given. "He's going to have to surprise us," Sabean said last week. "He's had two [forearm] surgeries. It's tough to count on or understand what he's able to do." This partly explains the Giants' interest in signing free agent Randy Johnson to a one-year contract.
    Sabean is smart for not counting on Lowry being ready for '09. I hope Lowry can regain his stuff but it is going to be while before he does. I like the Johnson possibility.

AAA ERA

Re: Latest On Lowry

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Per mlb.com:

Sabean is smart for not counting on Lowry being ready for '09. I hope Lowry can regain his stuff but it is going to be while before he does. I like the Johnson possibility.
    Not for the money he will want. Stick with the kids.
    "Better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Johnson offered to stay in AZ for $5 million. Giants can definitely afford that and the hunt for 300 wins would pay for that itself. Can't count on Lowry and Bumgarner and Alderson aren't ready yet and shouldn't be rushed. One year of the Big Unit isn't blocking anyone. Can never have too much starting pitching.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants trainer Dave Groeschner said Thursday that Noah Lowry is expected to be fully healthy by the start of spring training.
    Lowry hasn't pitched since August of 2007 thanks to tingling in his arm that eventually led to a pair of surgeries, but threw off a mound last week. Lowry's fantasy stock was slipping even before the arm problems and the Giants filled their rotation by signing Randy Johnson, so healthy or not he may not have a big role to begin the season.
    Obviously the author doesn't know the Gints too well. If Lowry is ready and 100% by Opening Day, Sanchez will be moving to the pen and Lowry will be the 5th starter. Glad to hear Lowry is coming along so well. I thought his career might be done so lets keep our fingers crossed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Noah Lowry has been shut down for a few days because of tightness in the back of his shoulder.
    Not the kind of start he needed if he has any hope of overtaking Jonathan Sanchez for a rotation spot. The left-hander is already coming back from two surgeries, the second of which involved a bone spur being removed from his elbow. The shoulder problem is supposed to be minor, but he just can't afford to miss any additional time.
    I really want Lowry to come back so Sanchez will go to the pen. Looks like it might not happen.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Lowry has had yet another setback. It was his shoulder last time but this time it is his elbow. He is going to be shut down for at least a week. No chance of him being ready for the start of the season.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Noah Lowry might have thrown his last pitch as a Giant.

The left-handed pitcher is scheduled to undergo surgery to remove the first rib on his left side, according to a report in the San Jose Mercury News. The recovery time for the procedure is estimated at three months and there is little hope Lowry, 28, will pitch this season, the paper reports.

Additionally, the report states it's likely the Giants will decline a $6.25 million option on Lowry for 2010, assuming he does not return this season.
    Sucks to see but we all knew we had seen the last of Lowry for a long time now. He gave us some good pitching and I will always think of him as a baby Tom Glavine. Hopefully he saved his money and maybe the Giants can help him out when he retires officially.