Thread: Giants To Look At Uggla and Konerko?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Giants To Look At Uggla and Konerko?

San Francisco, desperate for a proven bat, is expected to pursue one-dimensional second baseman Dan Uggla. The Giants also may kick the tires on first baseman Paul Konerko of the White Sox and Derrek Lee of the Cubs, both of whom have full no-trade clauses. They probably would have to deal a young pitcher--Jonathan Sanchez or Matt Cain. They're considered expendable because lefty Madison Bumgarner is climbing fast.
    There is no way I would trade Matt Cain for either Uggla or Konerko. Konerko is due to make $24 million over the next two years and in his past two seasons he has posted BAs of .259 and .240 with average OBPs. Konerko's production is not worth $12 milllion and we already have two guys not pulling their weight in regards to salary (Zito and Rowand). Uggla isn't exactly going to help our pitching with is poor defense. Maybe the Giants could move him to third base but not for Matt Cain. Cain is younger than Lincecum for christ's sake!! Cain is our second best starting pitcher so it will have to be a lot better than Uggla or Konerko. I don't really see Konerko or Derek Lee waiving their no-trade clauses to come to SF. Jonathan Sanchez can be moved after seeing his ERA balloon to over 5.00 after having a decent start.

Giants definitely need a big bat in the lineup but not at the cost of just giving away Matt Cain. Madison Bumgarner is climbing fast but will give the Giants the much need depth they need in the rotation. The Giants could have their own "Big Three" like the A's did across the Bay. Lincecum, Cain and Bumgarner could be something really special. Then a former member of the "Big Three" Zito could be slotted against other teams #5 starters.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Giants To Look At Uggla and Konerko?

I really don't understand how Cain is considered expendable. He just turned 24 and has huge stuff. Trading him for a premier young position player who also looks poised to be among the league leaders for years to come makes sense.... trading him for a guy who couldn't even OPS over .800 last year like Konerko or Dan Butterfingers Uggla makes absolutely no sense.

MLB ERA

I half agree with you mission. I think trading Cain at ALL makes no sense. I don't care what kind of bat you get for him. Reefer's right, if you can get 3 filthy guys at the top of your rotation, and slot Zito in the 4th or 5th spot, you can work on your lineup later. The words "Matt Cain" and "expendable" should never be used in the same sentance.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I think the Giants should wait until ST, we'd like to see what Lowry has after his injury, plus the fact if Bumgarner is ready to get called up, we can make a package deal with Lowry and Sanchez for a big bat or so.

Personally I would like to see Lowry get back into his original form with the rotation of Lincecum, Cain, Zito, Lowry and Bumgarner.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I like that rotation if Zito is in the #5 hole. He is not good enough anymore to go against other teams better pitchers, no matter how much he makes.

MLB ERA

I have to agree. The Giants just need to be a bit patient. They can tred water for a couple more seasons waiting for Noonan and Villalona to get more experience. Both of these guys have big upsides.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon