Thread: Already Matt Cain Rumors?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Already Matt Cain Rumors?

http://www.mercurynews.com/giantsheadlines/ci_10503826

"Matt Cain is already envisioning the moment. He'll feel the bite of a big-mouth bass on his fishing line while his cell phone simultaneously buzzes with a call from his mother. ``You know how moms are,'' Cain said. ``She gives me weekly updates on who was traded or who was picked up. I kind of use her as my ESPN News.'' Cain knows his name will be churning on the rumor mill this off-season. The Giants never were close to trading him last winter, and they don't want to move him now. But they will have to keep an open mind to add a power hitter to their offense, and with young pitchers Madison Bumgarner and Tim Alderson on a rapid rise, they might be more amenable to moving Cain.
    And then this:
    Sports - Leading Off: Could Brewers duo make Giants lose grip on Cain? - sacbee.com
    "We may be in the heat of the pennant races, but the Giants' hot stove talk appears to be on fire.

A lingering rumor was given new life Wednesday night. ESPN's Peter Gammons said the Giants could trade starting pitcher Matt Cain, 23, to the Brewers for first baseman Prince Fielder, 24, shortstop J.J. Hardy, 26, and another player. He didn't cite his source.

First, I would make this deal in a heartbeat. Cain (15-29 the last two seasons) has yet to fulfill his potential. Fielder (80 homers and 212 RBIs in that time) is a legitimate left-handed slugger. And Hardy (314 hits) would be an offensive upgrade for aging Omar Vizquel.

Whether you agree with me or not, I'm not Giants general manager Brian Sabean. He has shunned overtures to deal Cain or Cy Young nominee Tim Lincecum.

Sabean has said he sees keeping Cain, Lincecum and Barry Zito together for some time. And if Zito has turned it around, Sabean could have his own version of Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux and John Smoltz."
    The only way I make the Fielder, Hardy trade is if the Giants are 100% sure Lowry is back and the Giants get some bullpen help. The Giants obviously need help at a lot of places. Burriss looks like a decent player but he is not JJ Hardy. Hardy has 24 HRs to go along with a .287 average this season and is only 25. Fielder can hit the cove easily and has 33 HRs at the age of 24. He had over 50 last year. Fielder and Hardy would make a dramatic boost to this team making them a contender but only if the bullpen gets major help and Lowry is healthy. Hardy, Fielder, Rowand and Molina would make a good 3-6 or maybe a 2-5.

To go by Cain's record is just dumb. Cain has a 3.80 ERA and he is only 23. We need to wait to see what he can do but if a great offer like Fielder and Hardy comes along, I think they have to take it. I wouldn't take anything less though. Cain is still learning. I guy named Jake Peavy started clicking at 23. Look how that's working!

Re: Already Matt Cain Rumors?

you can't win if you don't score.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Can't win when your bullpen sucks too.

1B- Fielder
    2B- Frandsen
    SS- Hardy
    3B- ?
    LF- Lewis
    CF- Rowand
    RF- Winn
    C- Molina

That makes a for a much better lineup and would push the Giants into a contender again. Problems then come in the rotation.

Lincecum
    Sanchez
    Lowry
    Zito
    ??

Lowry is still a mystery and the Giants would have to pick someone up. I don't think Alderson or Bumgarner are ready yet.

MLB ERA

Wow, this is a tough decision, I mean as much as I love Cain, I would hate to see him traded, but if we can get Fielder and Hardy, I would do it.

But this all depends on Lowry. he has to stay healthy consistently in order for this to work IMO.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

General manager Brian Sabean said Wednesday that Matt Cain is untouchable in trade talks.
    "Clubs know that," Sabean said. "That hasn't necessarily discouraged clubs from inquiring or making suggestions of offers. But we don't see anything out there that gives us a net gain by losing him."
    That should end that and I'm glad Sabean has come out early in the offseason and ended the rumors. Doesn't do Cain any good to have his name floated around all offseason.

MLB ERA

Giants should keep Cain, end of story. It would be stupid to trade him. Good, really young pitchers are SOOOO rare, they should value him above almost anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Now its time to trade Sanchez