Thread: Vizquel To Japan In '09?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Vizquel To Japan In '09?

41-year-old Omar Vizquel said he's not ready to retire and may choose to play in Japan next year.
    "I've played here long enough in America," Vizquel. "I've seen every team, every ballpark. I think it would be great to experience a new league and something new. I played in Japan in 2000 on the major-league all-star tour and I found it very cool - good baseball, good fans. Why not? It's a new culture." Vizquel has hit just .187/.251/.217 in 203 at-bats this season, and even though the Giants made him available at the deadline, no one seemed interested. He'd have a better chance of playing regularly in Japan than in the U.S. next year.
    I wonder why no one picked him up at the deadline? Oh yeah, he can't hit. I don't want Vizquel back next year but I really don't want him ending his HOF career in Japan either. Retire and starting pursuing your dream of becoming a MLB manager or try and find work in the Majors. Please don't go to Japan! Has there ever been a HOFer who ended his career in Japan?

AAA ERA

Re: Vizquel To Japan In '09?

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I wonder why no one picked him up at the deadline? Oh yeah, he can't hit. I don't want Vizquel back next year but I really don't want him ending his HOF career in Japan either. Retire and starting pursuing your dream of becoming a MLB manager or try and find work in the Majors. Please don't go to Japan! Has there ever been a HOFer who ended his career in Japan?
    I don't know of a player doing this but if he goes he will be the first one. I want the Giants to get him to manage in Fresno next season with an eye of making him the next big league manager in SF when the time comes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Vizquel To Japan In '09?

I would love to see him managing our young guys but looks like he still wants to play.