Thread: My take on the first month

MLB ERA

My take on the first month

Giants have exceeded allot of expectations, especially since everyone had them finishing last in the NLW, I'm not saying there going to win the NLW or the WC by any stretch of the imagination, since its too early to tell. Giants are 13-16 in the first month, Offensively the Giants are ranked 12th in the NL in BA with a .245, 15th with only 90 runs scored, 90 runs in 29 games is just pathetic, thats only 3 runs a game avg! 14th in OBS, slug, and OPS, but we are ranked 1st in the NL with 33 SB. Our pitching has had its ups and downs, ranked 14th in the NL with a .271 opp BA, 4.22 ERA ranked 10th, we have allowed second highest walks in our league with 115 BB in 29 games is unacceptable, but we do have the second highest SO with 207Ks which is awesome.

Giants success is going to come from better SP, Zito needs to figure out whats going on, also we need Lowry back, he can be the X factor for us, Giants pitching staff need to work on those high pitch count on Cain, Sanchez and Lincecum, high pitch count leads to walks, which leads to runs allowed. Giants hitters need to start more and better, except for Molina, Lewis and Rowand.

Another positive sign is that we are doing this with Zito struggling and Lowry on the DL, if those guys come back and be the pitchers that we know they are, the sky is the limit, and we need guys like Bowker to play a consistent level, I know he's a rookie and he's still learning. Majority of the Giants success has been from small ball and I suggested earlier, also if guys like Bocock, Velez, Castillo and Winn can get better production at the plate that will be huge for us.

Like I said before "Just go out there and play!"

Re: My take on the first month

My Uncle is a huge fan of the Giants, he calls me all the time saying to watch out for the giants and i never listened to him untill this season. The Giants are quiet but ounce you hear them its to late.

AAA ERA

The Giants are taking steps towards becoming a good team but lets not get carried away. There is a long way to go this season and even further to go till they contend.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah I think the Giants are starting to head in the right direction, however there's still skeletons in the closet that need to be cleaned, and I don't think there'll be much progress until then.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Bochy has got to do a better job which is asking for the moon I know. Bochy cannot continue to not give Randy Winn consistent playing time. Rowand needs more opportunities to drive in runs and hit cleanup or third. In the #3 spot in the order, the Giants are hitting just .239. Hard to have an successful offense like that. This team is hitting .188 with 2 outs and RISP and just .222 with RISP overall! Awful. Bowker is in a slump and Ortmeier is just rotting on the bench. Ortmeier needs more playing time. The stolen bases are nice but we have no one to drive them in. Steve Holm has been a pleasant surprise. Holm is hitting .333 with a .429 OBP. Sadly he has no HRs or RBI. He does have a good eye at the plate and has shown good game calling skills. The bullpen has been the biggest surprise so far. Merkin Valdez, we are so glad you finally arrived!!! Wilson has been great saving nine of 10 games. The Giants have to shake things up and give guys like Durham and Winn more playing time to get them in a groove. How anyone can sit a guy with a 7 game hitting streak is beyond me.

MLB ERA

I think the Giants have a pretty good team, but I don't know if they'll be able to stay competitive this year. Down the road they should be pretty good (assuming Zito ever recovers), but this year I think they've just got too many question marks

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah we have holes and aged veterans but we have upside which is always encouraging. New team attitude this year. If we can find an everyday SS and 3B, we will be looking a lot better.

MLB ERA

Completely agree. I think the first (and obvious move) was to let Bonds go. They did that...and I believe Durham and Vizquel are FA after this season, which is good, because its about time they get younger. I think the Giants, for the first time in a while, are finally on the right track.