Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zito's Staying Put

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Zito's Staying Put

Pitching coach Dave Righetti said Wednesday that the Giants have no plans to skip Barry Zito's next start or remove him from the rotation.
    What he actually said was: "No, because who the hell is going to pitch? We're not that deep in starting pitching. We need him to pitch." Zito is 0-5 and certainly hasn't pitched well, but a 5.61 ERA through five starts is far from enough to get most pitchers booted from the rotation and his $126 million would keep him starting through much worse.
    I suggested after his last start that he be put on the DL but it doesn't look like that will happen. His velocity is increasing with every start but his command is horrible. The SF Chronicle made a good point that back in 2006 the Giants skipped a start with Matt Cain and after that "he was money". The Giants might want to send that same message to Zito. 0-5 is just ****ing pathetic for the money we are paying him.

AAA ERA

Re: Zito's Staying Put

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I suggested after his last start that he be put on the DL but it doesn't look like that will happen. His velocity is increasing with every start but his command is horrible. The SF Chronicle made a good point that back in 2006 the Giants skipped a start with Matt Cain and after that "he was money". The Giants might want to send that same message to Zito. 0-5 is just ****ing pathetic for the money we are paying him.
    You know we need to forget the money, and just look at him as a pitcher. He is the shits and no better than a #4 or #5 and at the moment not even that. So call up a kid from AAA and put Zito on the DL or the bench until he figures it out. The Hell with the money. It's gone, and it makes no sense to pitch this guy and just lose game after game.

MLB ERA

I disagree. Although I realize he's almost definitely overpaid, there is SOME reason why he's gotten a lot of money. And it's because he's pretty good. Sometimes pitchers go through these awful slumps just like batters. I also realize that Barry Zito is having more than a slump. That he's pretty bad. But in my opinion, you made a statement by signing him to that kind of money. And that statement is you're goin in with this guy as your ace. And he needs to stay there. All you'll do by benching him is 1) kick around his confidence even more, which is the worst thing you can do for a slumping ball player, pitcher or hitter, and 2) just like Righetti said, who the hell else is gonna pitch? You gotta have someone else slated there, and they just don't have it right now
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I disagree. Although I realize he's almost definitely overpaid, there is SOME reason why he's gotten a lot of money. And it's because he's pretty good.
    No, because the Giants were pretty stupid.

Sometimes pitchers go through these awful slumps just like batters. I also realize that Barry Zito is having more than a slump. That he's pretty bad.
    Wait...he's pretty good, then 2 sentences later he's pretty bad?

But in my opinion, you made a statement by signing him to that kind of money. And that statement is you're goin in with this guy as your ace. And he needs to stay there.
    You made a statement then, you can make one now. The man sucks. Skip his turn in the rotation once and let him work extra with Righetti or something.

All you'll do by benching him is 1) kick around his confidence even more, which is the worst thing you can do for a slumping ball player, pitcher or hitter, and 2) just like Righetti said, who the hell else is gonna pitch? You gotta have someone else slated there, and they just don't have it right now.
    His confidence is probably pretty shot anyway, and if you skip his start for a bit and keep working with him, maybe then he improves the next start and this his confidence finally goes up. And the Giants can find somebody to pitch, it's not like they'll be skipping a must win game.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Great points browntown! If a fragile 21 yr old Cain can handle having a start skipped due to poor performance, I think a pro like Zito can handle it just fine. His command of his fastball is his problem and I'm sure coaches, players and fans are tired of seeing the opposing pitchers rock his ass! Bochy ****ed up ny making him the "ace" because now he has to face real aces and the offense can't score the five runs Zito needs (even that's not enough). Pat Misch can be called to make a start. He's a lefty and has had a taste of success. He can do no worse than Zito.

MLB ERA

wow. i didn't realize i had completely contradicted myself there. what i meant to say is that he WAS pretty good, but right now he IS pretty bad. i still think it makes more sense for Matt Cain to miss a start because he's younger and still has malleable mechanics, whereas zito has been around and had success, and his mechanics aren't nearly as malleable. but it is a tough call either way.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Man Zito has been getting ripped on sfgate (the SF Chronicle). I feel bad for the guy.

like i've been saying, clearly the ball doesn't bite as much on the other side of the bay. besides, how is a pie thrower ever to make a living throwing BASEBALLS?!?!?!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    No, because the Giants were pretty stupid.
    I agree that right now the Giants look stupid for signing Zito, but we can call any team "stupid" for signing FAs, look at Giambi for instance, he's hitting .161 right now. He has only hit over .300 avg once in his Yankee career, he's only drivin 100 rbis just twice in since he signed that deal with the Yankees.

AAA ERA

Zito will never produce as a starter for the Giants. The hole is too deep!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    I agree that right now the Giants look stupid for signing Zito, but we can call any team "stupid" for signing FAs, look at Giambi for instance, he's hitting .161 right now. He has only hit over .300 avg once in his Yankee career, he's only drivin 100 rbis just twice in since he signed that deal with the Yankees.
    Yeah, that was a stupid deal, as were the Pavano and Wright and many others.

As for Zito, I think today showed why you skip a start for him...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Disabled List!!

MLB ERA

Yeah, his ability to pitch is disabled.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Yeah, his ability to pitch is disabled.
    -cue drums-

"must spread blah blah blah blah" OH SHUT UP
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

That's the second time you have to spread rep around for me. Boo hoo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast