Thread: DBacks@San Francisco 4/14-4/16

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants DBacks@San Francisco 4/14-4/16

The Giants are now 5-8 and are coming off a split with the St. Louis Cardinals. The offense is coming to life thanks to production from the leadoff spot. The Dbacks are leading the division.

Game One- Randy Johnson vs Jonathan Sanchez. Sanchez is coming off a great start against the Padres going six strong while striking out ten and giving up just three hits and no runs. Sanchez has 18 K's in just 10 IP of work. Hopefully the Giants can steal one in the Big Unit's debut. I expect him to be rusty.

Game Two- Micah Owings vs Kevin Correia. Correia is 1-1 and outpitched Adam Wainwright in his last start. Correia had 7 2/3 IP of shutout baseball and gave up just five hits in that game. He will be facing off against Owings who has looked awfully sharp so far this year. The Dbacks offense has looked even better.

Game Three
    - Brandon Webb vs Barry Zito. Gulp!! Zito looks to be getting better ever so slightly in every start. He is 0-3 and was bothered by poor fundamentals by his teammates in his last start. Giants are going to have a tough one against one of the best in the game in Webb. Webb is 3-0.

Let's hope the offense stays in gear and we can get 2 of 3 here but 1 of 3 seems more realistic.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Re: DBacks@San Francisco 4/14-4/16

I think the Giants have a great shot at beating Johnson. I really think he should hang them up (Johnson that is).

I hate to say it but i dont think Randy has it right now.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I agree. He just cant seem to hold up with his back, and age probably has something to do with it too.

AAA ERA

It is a shame that Johnson hangs on. He was one of the best pitchers of his time, and he is hurting his image by trying to pitch when it is clear he time has past. I look for Jonathan Sanchez to beat Johnson.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants are losing 4-3 in the 6th. Johnson has looked good striking out seven but has walked four which lack of control was expected. Him allowing just three hits wasn't. Sanchez is out failing to go deep into the game. Yabu is in now. Winn is leading off and is 1-2 with 2 RBI and a walk. I really like Winn at leadoff as he has always done well for us there. Rowand is 2-3 with a RBI in his first game back after taking off a few for sore ribs. Rowand did commit his second error of the year leading to a run. Sanchez only gave up three earned runs.

MLB ERA

Giants take the lead by a sacrifice fly by Mr Clutch Benji Molina 5-4, Walker threw a 9 pitch 8th inning, Giants are up at bat in the bottom of the 8th.

AAA ERA

Giants win 5-4! Break-up the Giants.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It was good for the Giants to come back even if most of the runs were unearned. At least we took advantage of the opportunities. Winn was a stud in the leadoff spot.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants got pounded today thanks to Correia giving up two big flies and Hennessey giving up his usual two runs. Threets also gave up a run. Hennessey needs to be sent down immediately or released. Why the Giants continue to hang on to mediocrity baffles me. Bowker went 2-4 with a triple and Velez went 2-3. The horrible pitching could have been attributed to poor mound conditions but Owings looked damn good. Several Giants pitchers and Bob Melvin, the Dbacks manager, complained to Bochy and Bochy is going to say something to the grounds crew.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants offense once again comes up short but that was expected against Brandon Wood (4-0). Errors and walks killed Zito as he gave up four runs (three earned) and walked five in six innings. Barry did only give up five hits and struck out two. I guess when you throw 105 pitches and only 58 are strikes you are going to have trouble. Zito hit 86 mph once. The good news was Bowker got some playing time at first when even if it was half an inning. Chulk threw two hitless innings and Merkin gave up just one hit in the 9th. Giants lost 4-1 and it could have been 5-1 but Winn gunned a guy at home.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants optioned RHP Keiichi Yabu to Triple-A Fresno.
    Yabu had given up six runs -- four earned -- in 9 1/3 innings. That's not terrible, but the Giants would be better off if Randy Messenger or someone else with a future earned the nod next time a reliever is needed.
    And that will be the last of Yabu.

AAA ERA

I was at todays game, and it was the pits. Zito is now 0-4 in the first month of the season, and looks no better today than opening day. I believe the Giants must look into moving this guy and paying a large part of his salary. What a mistake, but keeping him would be a bigger mistake.