Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

LOL Hardly

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nate Schierholtz went 5-for-5 with a double and three RBI Thursday for Scottsdale of the AFL.
    Schierholtz ends the AFL season with a .348/.363/.596 line in 89 at-bats. The Giants probably won't mind that he walked just once in 23 games. If they don't land a free agent, they could let him battle Dan Ortmeier and Rich Aurulia for playing time at first base next spring.
    Interesting idea of Scheirholtz and Ortmeier platooning at first base. Screw Aurilia! Hopefully the Giants are shopping him for anything.

MLB ERA

Why not move Schierholtz or Ortmeier to LF? Davis in CF and Winn in RF, but thats IF we trade Roberts. Big IF. But I do think that would be a good idea because LF is similar to 1B defensive wise, whichever of the two is better at 1B defense put him there, put the other guy in LF?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thought Schierholtz would be an OFer and should be. He was great in September defensively and looked good in the batter's box. I think the Giants are going to get an OFer through FA but not so sure about getting a first baseman. Since Sabean skipped the GM meetings, he missed out on good trade talk. If anything, I just want Schierholtz's bat in the lineup at some point next season and to stay.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Tyler Walker said he and the Giants have agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract.
    Walker, who returned from Tommy John surgery in August, was arbitration eligible. The 31-year-old right-hander will be a candidate for saves in San Francisco pen if the Giants fail to sign a closer.
    Tyler Walker better not be our closer in 08 or ever again. He is a hometown guy but not a very good one. He is a 6th or 7th inning reliever.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Roberto Kelly is named first base coach.

Kelly, 43, managed the Giants' low Class A Augusta affiliate to the best record in the Minor Leagues in each of the previous two seasons. The GreenJackets finished 92-47 in 2006 and 89-51 in 2007. Kelly hit .290 with 124 home runs in 14 Major League seasons with eight clubs.
    Sounds like he has the pulse of the youth which will come in handy in these rebuilding years.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Rocky Mountain News, the Giants are "looking to move Bengie Molina."
    Molina could be another options for teams like the Mets, Rockies and Marlins that are looking for catching help. Molina will make $6 million in each of the next two seasons.
    This makes no sense whatsoever. The Giants don't have an in house solution to fill the catcher's role if Molina was traded. Molina was arguably the MVP of the Giants last year getting the timely hits and leading the team in RBI. If you trade Molina, it would be another hole to fill.

MLB ERA

This is a bit frusterating, because the way alfonzo came around in 06 he showed signs of being a solid catcher, and then the Giants signed Molina in the offseason, and he did great this year and now they want to trade him? You gota be shitting me.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Alfonzo is a nice backup but not a starter. Molina was needed after Matheny retired. I don't see how the Giants can trade him.

MLB ERA

I dont know man, I think it was too early to say if Alfonzo is only a backup or not, because we cant just base it off of just one year in majors by him you know.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He's almost 30 and was a career minor leaguer so i think it was safe to say.

MLB ERA

He's actually 28 to be exact, and he made it debut in 06 when he was 26 I believe, but some players take longer than others in the minors. Who knows, we will probably never know.

If they do trade Molina, who the **** are we going to get behind the plate? Or do upper management are thinking about calling someone up from the Minors? And giving him a shot as a FT catcher? Or vice versa?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Alfonzo has 10 seasons of minor league baseball under his belt and bounced around from club to club . We have no one in the minors at catcher even close to being a MLB starter. Knoedler has experience but coaches don't think he is very strong behind the plate.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Omar Vizquel went hitless again Monday and is batting .178 in 36 at-bats in the VWL.
    Vizquel did have a sac fly and a walk yesterday, but he's gone 0-for-8 while his team has scored 24 runs in the last two games. Certainly, there's been nothing so far to suggest a bounce-back season is on the way.

Erick Threets pitched 1 2/3 hitless innings Saturday for Hermosillo of the Mexican Pacific League.
    Threets has fanned nine in 5 2/3 innings over his last four appearance. Overall, he has a 1.76 ERA despite seven walks in 15 1/3 innings. Improved command would make him a bullpen candidate next spring.
    Good to see Omar is not getting any better after his undeserving raise. I think Threets could make the team later next season around July.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast