Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Trade Rumors

According to the Houston Chronicle, Giants GM Brian Sabean said on his weekly radio show that he is looking to acquire a left-handed first baseman.
    The newspaper reports that the Giants have had internal discussions about the Nationals' Nick Johnson, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Johnson has locked up the everyday first base job in Washington and has been great so far this season. The Braves' Scott Thorman, who is at Triple-A right now, was named as another possibility and is more realistic. The Giants must have no faith in 26-year-old Dan Ortmeier, who continues ride the pine in favor of Rich Aurilla.
    Looks like the Giants might target Dmitri Young instead of Johnson. Thorman is just as bad as Ortmeier so don't see why we would even do this. All I know is that the Giants have to do something about our corners spots. Castillo has picked it up a bit but is no long term answer to our problems. Yes to Johnson, yes to Young (within reason) and no to Thorman.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Looks like the Giants might target Dmitri Young instead of Johnson. Thorman is just as bad as Ortmeier so don't see why we would even do this. All I know is that the Giants have to do something about our corners spots. Castillo has picked it up a bit but is no long term answer to our problems. Yes to Johnson, yes to Young (within reason) and no to Thorman.
    Once again this rebuilding is going to take time. If this is giving Ortmeier a shot then they will never develop a team. If they let him start for six weeks and he still can't hit ok at least he had his chance to show what he could do.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It will take time but Ortmeier and Aurilia aren't long term answers at first. I agree with giving Ortmeier more playing time but Bochy isn't a good manager. Rebuilding takes time but you have to put a quality product on the field too. Giants have to worry about paying for their own stadium where many teams don't have to. Sabean has to be looking at longer term answers at first and third as well as other positions.

AAA ERA

You maybe right, but Ortmeier deserves a shot. That means at least 2 months to show if he can or can't do it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

My only hope is that they are saving money for a possible Mark Teixeira signing after this season. The Giants haven't had a solid first baseman since J.T. left and Ortmeier looks like another Lance Niekro. Niekro, Hillenbrand, Feliz, Sweeney, Klesko and now Aurilia have been our first basemen. Sabean has done a piss poor job in this department. Ortmeier will be given his chance but he better do something with it.

AAA ERA

Are you willing to put all your money in one position like we did with Bonds or do you want to develop a young team that can compete for years. I say put that money into the farm system and develop a team. What about Angel Villalona at first base in 2010?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I thought about that right after I made that post because I remembered reading over the offseason that scouts didn't think Villanova was going to be a MLB third baseman. A move to first will be the way to go so a stop gap guy would be ideal. I was screaming for the Giants to get Ben Broussard who fits this description perfectly. We can spend money and develop talent at the same time, Sabean just doesn't spend wisely or draft position players. He has single handedly screwed the post-Bonds era.

I just wish we had some pitching to offer the Tigers for Inge since they are looking desperate.

AAA ERA

I am not sure Inge is the answer either. By the time the Giants will be ready to compete for the Division title he will be too old. No I say bit the bullet and go with the Kids. If you need one or two players at that time then sign the free agent or make a trade.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

By the time the young guys are ready to take over, Inge will be gone. Inge is a stop gap guy who at this moment we need. He provides power and defense. Plus he can even catch which comes in handy on this Giants squad. $19 mil over three years is something we can definitely afford. He will be 33 when his contract is up. Inge helps the defense which helps the pitching. Mainly, he helps the offense. He's off to a great start and is the only Tiger hitting right now. Sad thing is, we have nothing the Tigers want. Well, nothing we will give up. We have to put a quality product on the field to keep interest in these rebuilding years. I'm not seeing that at all right now

By the time the young guys are ready to take over, Inge will be gone.
    Word.

Refer...WTF? Can you explain what this ERA shit is in the user profile.

Double-A ERA: 2.83 --- Huh?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I am pretty sure it is your reputation. The more rep points you get, the higher up you go and the lower your ERA gets. You are in AA now. The more rep points you get, you will eventually go to AAA then on to the majors. Here's a rep point to get you on your way

Bear, I would alos like to mention I am all for getting Ian Stewart from the Rockies. He's good, young, cheap and would be a huge piece of our puzzle.

AAA ERA

Bear, I would alos like to mention I am all for getting Ian Stewart from the Rockies. He's good, young, cheap and would be a huge piece of our puzzle.
    Now you are talking. I like the idea of trying to get Ian Stewart. Good young infielder who can grow with the team.

WTF are you guys talking about?

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by SF Kid View Post
    WTF are you guys talking about?
    The moves the Giants should make. I would ask you but you have no clue.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast