Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

Shelton was that guy who was on the Tigers a few years back and hit like those 12 homers in a week, right? If he is...then I agree. A minor-league contract can't hurt...Giants could platoon him with Ortmeier, or keep him soley as a back up if he joins the team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Shelton is that guy. He has a .281 BA, .348 OBP, 35 HRs and 109 RBI in 807 ABs. Bad thing is he strikes out too much and hardly walks. 162 game average has him at 23 HRs and 71 RBI.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I don't think that a contract will hurt...like you said he could work on patience and learn the strike zone better. Sounds a little like the Mr. Cust on my team...but 20+ homers and 70+ ribbies doesn't sound half bad.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

White Sox designated RHP David Aardsma for assignment.
    Aardsma disappointed both Chicago teams with his performance, but it's highly unlikely that he'll clear waivers. The Orioles are one of the teams that figure to be interested in adding someone with his stuff to their bullpen mix.
    Aardsma came up through the Giants organization and was traded to the Cubs along with Jerome Williams for LaTroy Hawkins. With a bullpen as bad as ours, he could only help.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Joe Crede's $5.15 million contract is very affordable to teams seeking a sure-handed third baseman with run-producing ability. Negotiations between San Francisco and Pedro Feliz has stagnated, and new Giants senior adviser of player personnel Ron Schueler was the Sox's GM during Crede's first five minor-league seasons (1996-2000). The Giants are listening to offers for left-hander Noah Lowry, who is signed through 2009 at $6.75 million for the two seasons with a club option for 2010 worth $6.25 million. He has 100 major-league starts, so he clearly has an experience edge over the 55 combined career starts of White Sox Nos. 4-5 starters John Danks and Gavin Floyd
    Lowry is a little too much for a guy coming off injury, not that Lowry is the most reliable guy. I would welcome Crede simply because he's not Feliz but their numbers aren't that different. Crede has won a WS and should have been the MVP of that series. I like Crede but don't like screwing with our rotation. If Lowry were to leave, Sanchez and Misch would compete for a spot with Misch hopefully winning out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Chicago Sun-Times speculates that the White Sox and Giants may already "have a deal in place" for Joe Crede if his back looks healthy during spring training.
    The newspaper speculates that Crede "will be gone by the middle of Cactus League play" if he shows that he's healthy. Whether San Francisco is the destination or not, it seems fairly obvious that Crede won't begin the season in Chicago.
    I will welcome it as long as it isn't for too much. I expect a David Bell type season from him. Good defense, decent bat and a bad back.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants, according to a rival executive, have informed clubs of their willingness to discuss approximately a dozen players, including major and minor leaguers. Among the veterans on the list: Ray Durham, Rich Aurilia, Randy Winn and Steve Kline. The Giants are looking for late-inning relievers, outfielders, a third baseman and backup catcher.
    Winn is the only one that would bring in anything decent. Kline is having a horrible spring and Durham and Aurilia are already battling injuries. Also, the Giants and White Sox have not come to any agreement on players in a possible trade for Joe Crede. Garrett Atkins will probably be shopped sometime this season and the Giants should jump on that. Trading in your division isn't smart usually but when you're in the cellar, who cares?

the giants, given their cactus league performance, don't stand a chance to gain anything during spring training. their dismal performance will merit nothing, except maybe the ridicule of espn analysists. this is what i've been thinking all along: any move that was to be made HAD TO be done BEFORE spring training. the giants simply do not have the personnel to give ANYONE the opportunity to succeed enough to pose them as potential trade bait. it's just not going to happen. the only giant i saw as potential of moving was lowry (because i daresay i'd start advocating the giants moving to canada if they moved lincecum)...and, well, 12 bb's in 2 outings and the need for surgery makes him a very undesirable trade asset.
    i could give a sh*t less whether zito "feels comfortable" on the bump. he's still not going to amount to anything more than a .500 pitcher at best. and lincecum still has a lot of maturing to do, on the run, at that. before their abysmal performance, i'd have said the giants' rotation of cain, zito, lowry, lincecum, and possibly correia, would have been formidable. but after getting...how do i put this...ZERO offensive support, to include the struggling of lewis, vizquel (before his sugery), and durham offensively, and now frandsen defensively (though i still contend that he needs to be given the chance to fail at the professional level instead of replacing him with some no-name inivte)...the giants are destined for close to a 100-loss season.
    welcome to the advent of the mid-90's giants once again...
    Last edited by jpants10; 03-07-2008 at 04:41 PM. Reason: forgot to give matt cain his big ups...

MLB ERA

Well I have said this before and I will say it again, the D-Backs from last year had a crappy offense and did it with defense and pitching all year long, they managed to win the division and make it to the NLCS. So I wont count the Giants out just yet.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Fred Lewis is doing well this spring.

GF83...true, but let's not forget they were nicknamed the "baby" backs, so they had the youth to keep making that final push. granted, veteran experience should be what carries your team the full 162 games, but i think the giants at this point are "over the hill" and will find themselves plagued by fatigue and *shudders* the injury bug in the latter months.

Reefer...7 for 21 isn't exactly what i call "thriving." i mean, yeah, it's a .333 average, but 21 ab's is far from a suitable sample size to find sustainability. and beyond that, 4 of the 7 came as the result of multihit games against the cubs. in surfing the boxscores, he seems to do better coming off the bench than he does getting the start. to each his own, but i'm just not seeing the everyday starter i hope he can become. oh well, i suppose he's got another year or so of platooning for winn and roberts to develop.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was looking at Fred Lewis as trade bait. Teams have looked at him this winter. The Giants also had scouts at the A's game to scout out guys like Dan Johnson and Sweeney. Fred Lewis could be something they like. I'd rather keep Schierholtz or Davis as far as possible starting OFers go. Winn is a proven veteran that many teams could want.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Giants Trade Rumors

"Increasingly displeased by their product on the field, Giants officials have become more aggressive on the trade front and recently asked the Los Angeles Angels about first baseman Casey Kotchman and catcher Jeff Mathis, according to sources. It's possible that the two clubs discussed sending Bengie Molina back to Anaheim; Angels officials are said to miss the former Gold Glove catcher's leadership and game-calling skills."
    The article went on to say that they were looking for starting pitching, something we can't give up at this point. Kotchman would be a nice bat to have and stick in the #3 hole but I like Molina and want him to stay. Molina was the "smartest" move by Sabean in a while.
    " The Giants' interest in trading for Joe Crede has cooled to the point that the White Sox didn't feel the need to showcase their third baseman. He made the trip to Scottsdale but didn't start."
    I think Crede talks are over and glad they are.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

San Francisco is serious about moving veteran second baseman Ray Durham, who is guaranteed $8 million this year, and outfielder Dave Roberts, guaranteed $6.5 million this year and next. The Giants admit they will pick up part of the salary for both.
    You can put this under the "no shit" category. I can't think of any teams needing a weak OFer or a second baseman right now.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

GM Brian Sabean said the Giants haven't found much trade interest for Steve Kline, who was designated for assignment on Sunday. The team has a little more than a week remaining before it must trade or waive the veteran left-hander.
    Another no shit comment. The Phillies signing of Rudy Seanez pretty much took Kline out of their equation. If he does get traded, can we throw Hennessey in with him?

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast