Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Trade Rumors, Ideas and Acquisitions

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: The Official Giants Offseason Thread

Feliz declined arbitration

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This doesn't sever Feliz's ties to the Giants, the only organization he has played for in 14 professional seasons. He can continue to negotiate with them, although Giants general manager Brian Sabean has maintained that he won't grant Feliz's wish for a three-year deal...The Giants have shown little desire to retain Feliz, focusing most of their player-acquisition efforts elsewhere.
    Someone must be awfully happy. For now atleast.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants have some interest in veteran outfielder Luis Gonzalez of the Dodgers.
    Why? What ****ing business do the Giants have looking at this old OFer? He can't pitch, play third or first so why the **** would we have any interest in him?

all i can say as a long time giant fan is that there has never been such a disappointing off-season. having drained the farm last year, and only coming up with frandsen, lincecum, and lewis as potential potable starters (at least 2 years out), you'd figure that the giants would be going nuts with their newfound spending cash (in the form of bonds' absence). but no, instead, the giants failed in negotiations for miguel cabrera (granted, this was in part due to the marlins' idiocracy in believing that man is worth faaaar more than he is worth). and beyond that, the only thing that came close to materializing was a lincecum/rios deal with the jays, which would have undoubtedly been one of the most upsetting moves in giants history since the francisco liriano, joe nathan, and boof bonser deal for f*ck-up clubhouse-cancer catcher, aj pierzynski. the giants need pitching. period. if you want to dive beyond that, they need pitching in the pen. if there was one thing i couldn't stand more watching last season, it was watching armando benitez chuck up 89-91 mph fastballs right down the d*ck to hitters more than willing to ditch the 2-strike 9-iron for the fairway woods and tee-off on his @ss. thank the lord we won't have to watch that again.
    and further, the giants are lacking big bats in the lineup. i know we all love watching prehistoric omar vizquel (f*ck you for resigning him sabean) hit far below the replacement level, or watching lil' ray come up big in situations he has no business being in, or even watching our "flying molina brother" lead the team in hitting, but there is no big bopper in the line-up, and no sign of one to come. no wonder there is no one in the giants' line-up with more than 20 hr's or 80 rbi's.

all i can say is, at least we have barry zito. oh yeah, apparently the break on the curveball isn't nearly as good on the other side of the bay. so let's keep paying him $17 mil per, just to watch him struggle to win 10 games this year. the giants are in the sh*tter for a long time now, and with this level of inactivity and incapability to develop a sustainable farm system, the giants are doomed to remain that way until either the mcgowan fires sabean or decides to pull out his checkbook. what's it gonna be guys?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree with almost everything you said except for saying the Giants will be in the shitter for a long time and the farm only produced three guys. The Giants have a great core in the starting rotation which is harder to do than find a slugger. So the Giants have that covered for a long time. Giants need bullpen help and can't believe we didn't someone like Riske to help out. I also can't believe the Giants haven't attempted or at least we never heard of them attempting to dump the salaries of Roberts, Durham or Aurilia. The Giants do have a bunch of farm guys that might start for the Giants. Frandsen, Lincecum, Lowry, Cain, Correia, Sanchez, Hennessey, Schierholtz, Lewis, Ortmeier and Wilson might all play roles for years to come but especially will in '08. If anything good come could come out of this offseason, it might be the fact that we are saving money this year for the FA class next year.

Thanks for the input and keep checking in jpants!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants are further along in discussions for free-agent outfielder Aaron Rowand, having spoken to his representative several times since last week's winter meetings. But it wouldn't be out of character for Giants General Manager Brian Sabean to strike late and fast on Fukudome. "This process won't drag out much longer," Urbon said Monday. "If they are truly interested in Kosuke, I anticipate I'll hear more from them either tonight or tomorrow. . . . This deal could come and go before they're prepared to jump in with both feet."
    Fukudome has been offered a $50 mil deal from the Cubs so I doubt we do better than that but it wouldn't shock me if we did. Rowand best not get more than 3 years and $36 mil,

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by jpants10 View Post
    all i can say as a long time giant fan is that there has never been such a disappointing off-season. having drained the farm last year, and only coming up with frandsen, lincecum, and lewis as potential potable starters (at least 2 years out), you'd figure that the giants would be going nuts with their newfound spending cash (in the form of bonds' absence). but no, instead, the giants failed in negotiations for miguel cabrera (granted, this was in part due to the marlins' idiocracy in believing that man is worth faaaar more than he is worth). and beyond that, the only thing that came close to materializing was a lincecum/rios deal with the jays, which would have undoubtedly been one of the most upsetting moves in giants history since the francisco liriano, joe nathan, and boof bonser deal for f*ck-up clubhouse-cancer catcher, aj pierzynski. the giants need pitching. period. if you want to dive beyond that, they need pitching in the pen. if there was one thing i couldn't stand more watching last season, it was watching armando benitez chuck up 89-91 mph fastballs right down the d*ck to hitters more than willing to ditch the 2-strike 9-iron for the fairway woods and tee-off on his @ss. thank the lord we won't have to watch that again.
    and further, the giants are lacking big bats in the lineup. i know we all love watching prehistoric omar vizquel (f*ck you for resigning him sabean) hit far below the replacement level, or watching lil' ray come up big in situations he has no business being in, or even watching our "flying molina brother" lead the team in hitting, but there is no big bopper in the line-up, and no sign of one to come. no wonder there is no one in the giants' line-up with more than 20 hr's or 80 rbi's.

all i can say is, at least we have barry zito. oh yeah, apparently the break on the curveball isn't nearly as good on the other side of the bay. so let's keep paying him $17 mil per, just to watch him struggle to win 10 games this year. the giants are in the sh*tter for a long time now, and with this level of inactivity and incapability to develop a sustainable farm system, the giants are doomed to remain that way until either the mcgowan fires sabean or decides to pull out his checkbook. what's it gonna be guys?
    I agree with you on just about everything but the Giants going in the shitter and Zito.
    Giants have good and patentially great SP, if we keep the pitching as our core, anything can happen, look at AZ from last year they got it done with pitching.
    And Zito, I agree he did have a down year, but then again it was his first time playing in the NL, I say give him one more year to decide whether or not if he's living up to his contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants agreed to terms with outfielder Aaron Rowand, who had been with the Phillies, on a five-year contract.
    The Giants were lucky last year when they missed out on Gary Matthews Jr. and Juan Pierre despite competitive offers. Still, no one really expected Brian Sabean to learn his lesson. Rowand gets a five-year deal at what's surely more than $10 million per season (probably at least $12 million) despite having just two particularly good seasons under his belt. He's a fine player even when he's posting 750 OPSs, but he's probably not going to age well because of the way he throws his body around and he's not the big-time middle-of-the-order threat the Giants needed. The team was already paying Randy Winn and Dave Roberts as if they were center fielders.
    There goes Rowand not getting more than 3 years and $36 mil!! Terrible deal for the Giants. They have not learned a ******* thing!! Five years was just way too much. He is likely to move to LF in a couple of years so we will only get two good years in CF from him. He is a good #5 hitter but in this lineup he will likely be a 3 or 4 hitter as of now. Looks like Davis, Lewis and Schierholtz will be fighting for just one spot now with Roberts and Winn joining Rowand. Giants have a long way to go!! This deal is good for three years max and then starts to hurt.

The good things are Rowand will provide GG defense and hit for 20+ homers and hit for a decent average. Rowand is a balls to the wall guy and I love that in players. Rowand is in his prime and will love the gaps in AT&T. He hit 45 doubles last year and can see him hitting more than that. All of his offense relies on the guys around him though which the Giants don't have right now.

well, considering the lack of free agent outfield alternatives, i guess Rowand would be a welcome edition, bridging the gap between the newborns Davis and Lewis and the decrepit Roberts and aging Winn. he swings an average+ stick and actually knows how to play the outfield. but 5 years?! come on! and for what is rumored to be $12mil per? he's good, but is no offensive replacement for Bonds (even if he only played 120 games). i just hope the giants still give their rooks a chance to develop on the field and put Roberts back where he belongs: in his rightfully earned role of "pinch runner extraordinaire."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I wonder if this has any changes in the Rios-Lincecum trade? The Giants now have a logjam in the OF and hopefully they can dump Roberts somewhere along the line. Davis can steal just as many bases and plays much better defense.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Its a deal for 5 yrs/$60 mil which is what I thought it would be. I knew Rowand would make $12 mil/yr and I'm glad the Giants didn't get too outrageous on the money annually.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Following the signing of Aaron Rowand, the Giants said they're no longer considering trading Tim Lincecum or Matt Cain.
    Perhaps a bright side to any Giants fan upset about the Rowand deal. Alex Rios for Lincecum was still apparently on the table, but GM Brian Sabean shut the door on it today. "With this move," hesaid, "we're not definitively interested any longer in listening to any offers on Cain and Lincecum.
    Good news! Cain, Zito, Lincecum, Lowry and Correia/Sanchez/Misch will make for a good rotation that won't get any offense behind them. Plus they have no real closer to close games.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants non-tendered RHP Scott Munter.
    Even with a good sinker, one really has to average more than a strikeout every two weeks to succeed in the majors.
    He was a big boy who had elbows problems. Giants need to start finding some relievers.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Giants have spoken to agent Scott Boras about infielder Dallas McPherson, who became a free agent when the Los Angeles Angels did not tender him a contract. McPherson is coming off back surgery but he is a former top prospect with home run potential and could play first or third base.
    McPherson is a better fit at first. Never really did well at the ML level and isn't that great defensively at third. He would be a good low risk signing and replace Klesko as a bench guy but the Giants need starters.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, Dallas McPherson and the Giants "have moved in opposing directions" since discussing a deal last week.

McPherson figures to be relatively popular as a low-cost, high-upside pickup for a rebuilding team and may be asking for more than a typical minor league deal.

Tony Clark's agent said Tuesday that the Giants have expressed interest in his client.

Clark's options for grabbing a starting job have seemingly all dried up, but he could potentially split time at first base with Dan Ortmeier in San Francisco. Clark's agent said that a one-year deal could work, but the Giants may be content with Rich Aurilia as their backup first baseman.
    Sorry McPherson but you aren't that good to be demanding anything. Clark would be a nice option to go along with Ortmeier but this doesn't help the Giants get any younger.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast