Thread: Giants Draft 2007

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Draft 2007

High school LHP Madison Bumgarner was picked 10th overall by the Giants in Thursday's draft.
    The 6-foot-6 Bumgarner shows excellent velocity for a left-hander, firing the ball at 95-96 mph at times. He doesn't have quality secondary stuff at the moment, so of the top 10 picks, he's probably the longest shot to reach his ceiling. Still, he has a great deal of potential.

High school RHP Tim Alderson was selected 22nd overall by the Giants on Thursday.
    The Giants went with another high school arm. Alderson, a 6-foot-7 right-hander, has excellent command of a 91-94 mph fastball. Both his curve and change are also potential plus pitcher. However, the Giants may choose to rework his delivery. Alderson works from the stretch at all time.
    Picking high schoolers is a very risky thing for the Giants to do but these guy are literally Giants. A 6'6" lefty and a 6'7" right are just some tall dudes with a lot of velocity. ESPN's draft coverage says that Alderson threw a game in which he threw 72 pitches, 61 of which were strikes. They say he has unbelievable command which is very exciting considering he's a high schooler.

MLB ERA

Re: Giants Draft 2007

Yea I was watching it, I also heard ESPN say that Alderson had a 100+strikeout to only 4 walks! Thats just crazy, especially from a high schooler!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants selected high school outfielder Wednell Fairley with the 29th pick.
    A rare high school position player drafted in the first round by the Giants. Of course, three early picks leads to some added flexibility there. Fairley is an impressive athlete, but it will probably take him a couple of years before he's a baseball player. Some see him as a future All-Star.
    He played both football and baseball and being compared to Carl Crawford. He has speed, average and power which would be very welcome in CF at SF in a few years.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You guys got my seal of approval, one of the better drafts and to draft three high schoolers with talent above the place picked at. To have three picks in the first round, it could be a great way to advance your franchise obviously and I think the Giants capitalized on that opportunity.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree but three high schoolers?? I at least wanted a somewhat proven guy in the college ranks.