Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schmidt Wins Pitcher of the Month Honors

Schmidt has been great this year. A few times he's pitched really good and got zlich run support.

AAA ERA
    Ok, but lets keep him good and not over work him!

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Schmidt has always been able to throw a lot of pitches and it really hasn't been a problem for him. His groin seems to be his weak spot. He is back to being an ace and to finish what he started. This has been no different than in years past. except for last year when he was no where near the level he is now.
    Yes, perfectly said Reef.

Bear makes a good point. No sense going to the well too often and wearing the man out. In today's game of baseball pitchers like Schmidt need not go 8-9 innings everytime out.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    True aces want to go the distance. Schmidt averages 213 innings a year and will hopefully get slightly over that. Cain is who you guys SHOULD be worrying about when it comes to pitch counts, not Schmidt! When the rest of your rotation is killing the bullpen, its good to have an ace pick up the team.

AA ERA
    Hey did you guys know that Felipe Alou has made the least amount of pitching changes in the N.L. this season.

Sounds about right to me.

AAA ERA
    The difference in Cain & Schmidt is age. A young guy if he is in shape can throw alot of pitches. When you cross over to an older player you need to pace yourself. I want Schmidt to be able to play another five plus years weither it is with the Giants or not. Lets not wear him out in this season alone! Also, years ago starters went 300 plus innings. This is not the case now so to say to be an ace you have to go this distance just makes no sense today. JMO

That is what makes sense to me.

Just because Schmidt might want to stay in games, that is what you pay a manger for -- to keep winning and keep pitchers healthy so they can fight another day! Alou isn't good at that IMO.

AA ERA
    Bear there is a difference with age, you say Cain can throw alot of pitches your wrong...you don't want Cain to always pitch 100 PC games, Cain would be the one wearing down with a rubber arm. last year was the first time he'd ever threw 200 innings in a season(minors included). Schmidt has always pitched 200 innings and made always around 30 starts a season. Don't let the pitch count confuse you, like I said before he really only throws fastballs and changeups, which puts the least amount of stress on your arm. The pitch that puts the most stress on your arm is the slider and then it's the curveball.

AAA ERA
    As I said it is JMO but it is still my opinion! When you get a few more years on you I will be there to ask you if you can do the same things you were able to do today. I know the answer but I think you may not. Again JMO

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Problem with kids coming from the minors is they had restricted pitch counts and were taken out of the games because of that. You need a young guy to come out slowly and get a couple of seasons under your belt. Schmidt is in his prime and is throwing a lot smarter. He isn't just blowing guys away. Cain is throwing 100+ pitches in only 5 or 6 innings at a time and killing the bullpen. He did have one shutout but since hasn't got past the 6th inning.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Complete game, one earned run and 16, yep 16 strikeouts! That there raised his K/9 from 6.84 (IIRC) to 7.79. And his ERA is down to 2.53... seems like he's starting to roll now. True, he was facing Florida, but that's a dominating start (obviously) no matter how your slice it. Still way too many pitches thrown in this one though.

AAA ERA
    Look we all like that Schmidt is at the top of his game and is pitching like the Schmidt of old. The only thing is I want him pitching like this for a long time and 120 plus pitch games over and over is not the way to insure this.
    I don't want Cain doing this either. I want the Giants to have faith in their pen so when a guy gets to 95-105 pitch count he gives it over to the pen. Now I am not saying never let Schmidt pitch over this number but not every time out just because he is your Ace! JMO

Well that's the point. I don't think any pitcher should be throwing that many pitches -- young or old. There is no reason to other than the bull pen absolutely sucks.

This is the way MLB teams are designed in this era.

Alou is a complete idiot.

www.firefelipealou.com -- come on fellas, somebody up up a website using that URL!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast