Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Schmidt Wins Pitcher of the Month Honors

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants Schmidt Wins Pitcher of the Month Honors

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/N...t=.jsp&c_id=sf

Jason Schmidt was the bullpen's best friend during May, throwing seven innings in five of his six starts. The Giants right-hander was rewarded for his pen-friendly performance Monday, as he was named the National League Pitcher of the Month.

Schmidt gave the bullpen the night off twice in a row, hurling consecutive complete games against Milwaukee and Chicago on May 3 and May 9. Manager Felipe Alou said Schmidt has adjusted his style this year from the one that saw him clock in with a 12-7 record in 2005.

"Last year, he struggled at the beginning, but he's a different pitcher now," Alou said after Schmidt's complete-game win against Chicago. "He's dominating with different type of stuff than when he used to blow people away."

Schmidt, owner of a 4-0 record and a 1.17 ERA in May, credited the San Francisco offense for his success and for taking the pressure off of him.

"It was kind of hit or miss at times, but the biggest thing was the team scored a lot of runs," Schmidt said of his seven scoreless-inning performance against Colorado. "It made it a lot easier and took the pressure off me. I just let them hit it, more than anything, and it worked out for the best."

Schmidt's rhythm included yielding more than one run only twice in his six starts, and shutting out the opposition twice, against Milwaukee and Colorado. The right-hander maintained his high level of performance despite throwing more than 100 pitches each time he started in May, including a 132-pitch, 8 1/3-inning outing against Oakland on May 20.

Schmidt's accuracy during May no doubt enhanced his effectiveness as he struck out 35 hitters in 46 innings while walking only seven. Opposing lineups batted .174 against Schmidt with 29 hits and two home runs.

Schmidt, the May 2004 winner of the NL Pitcher of the Month Award, claimed he's not doing anything differently and has just been the beneficiary of being in a groove.

"It's the same stuff," Schmidt said. "I've just got a nice little rhythm going."

Other pitchers receiving votes were Arizona's Brandon Webb (4-0, 1.80 ERA), New York's Tom Glavine (5-0, 2.94 ERA) and St. Louis closer Jason Isringhausen (10 saves, 0.77 ERA).
    Awesome news as Jason deserved this one. He has returned to form and can now be relied on for a win.

AA ERA
    It's nice to have the old Schmidty back.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Schmidt was awesome this month. I am glad to see his K/9 return to a level closer to what we all expect, hopefully he can continue to raise that figure as he pitches dominately. (In addition to keeping his K/BB closer to his career number versus last year which was the third year in which that dropped by a large margin.)

BTW, how do you guys feel about him throwin 132 pitches in a game? Obviously I am a bit late to the party on this one, but that wouldn't be something to thrill me as a Giants fan

He's turned out to be an awesome fantasy pick for my team, kudos to Schmidt
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

I don't think you leave Schmidt into a ball game to throw 132 pitches. With all of the surgeries he's had on his arm, and how it could go at any time, leaving him in for that long, and being a workhorse this early in the year, is a no-no if I am managing this team.

However, Schmidt has really impressed me this year, and is deserving of this reward. I am worried about his arm, and his impending free agent status, but right now, he is a huge part of the Giants pitching staff. His 1.17 ERA in May states it all, and Schmidt's comment about the offense being a huge reason for success. He will lead that pitching staff into the playoff race, or net the Giants a great group of prospects at the trade deadline.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I totally agree Thomas (in regards to the concern on his PC.) His pitches thrown per game is back up to 112 (IIRC) and that's just a bit too much in my opinion considering the impact he has on the Giants organization (be it pitching them to the playoffs or improving their minor league system like you mentioned.) No reason to take your chances with him and his health I say.

MLB ERA
    woo hoo congrats!

now we need morris to get back in form

and mission i dont like the idea of him throwing 132 pitches, due to the fact his previous health problems, personally i dont think he should be striking batters out, dont get me wrong here you guys, i want him to throw more breaking balls and get easy 1-3 pitch ground outs then 4-6 pitch strikeout

AAA ERA
    I agree with Thomas about Schmidt and the number of pitches you allow him to throw and I have to wonder who's call that is. Is it Alou, or is it Rags. As far as Morris getting back this is a bigger problem. On the plus side is we also have Hennessy who now seems to have found it all and is ready for his spot in the rotation. If the rotation can be smooth out over the next few weeks the Giants could be tough. Lets hope!

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    BTW, how do you guys feel about him throwin 132 pitches in a game? Obviously I am a bit late to the party on this one, but that wouldn't be something to thrill me as a Giants fan
    I don't mind.........You have to remember Schmidt really is a two pitch pitcher, fastball and changeup. Which doesn't put that much stress on the arm, unlike throwing sliders and curves.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz
    or net the Giants a great group of prospects at the trade deadline.
    That's not going to happen...........He won't be traded.........Didn't we go through this last season.

AAA ERA
    Giants666...There is some concern about the number of pitches Alou lets Schmidt throw. True he does throw the fastball / change-up most of the time but even with that, 115 plus is a lot of wear on a pitchers arm at his age with injury in his past. As far as a trade I agree with you if they are in the race at trade deadline, (and I hope this is the case) but if they are not I think the Giants will be very active in the trade market with Schmidt being one of the players most likely to go. Remember he is in the last year of his contract and I am not sure they plan to resign him. Better to get something than just let him go! JMO

Mr. Schmidt ...

AAA ERA
    My are we not full of ideas this morning! Must have been a heavy duty weekend!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Schmidt has always been able to throw a lot of pitches and it really hasn't been a problem for him. His groin seems to be his weak spot. He is back to being an ace and to finish what he started. This has been no different than in years past. except for last year when he was no where near the level he is now.

As for Morris, he has been pitching a lot better lately but he hasn't been going deep into ball games.

AAA ERA
    No I agree that Schmidt is back, I just do not want to overwork him! It would be nice to get into the dog days witha strong Schmidt to anchor the staff! JMO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast