Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BLaw is gone

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Padres BLaw is gone

1st trade is done.........Vinny Castilla for Brian Lawerence is a done deal......Vinny will take over the 3rd base duties, sighting a complete lack of faith in Sean Burroughs.........next step I would think is to package up Burroughs with someone like Chan Ho and get an OFer......hard to say.......but having a Right handed power hitter and quality glove at 3rd, regardless of last years stats, isn't a bad thing for 2 years......it's not the greatest........but at least it's an apparent upgrade at one position
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't know why you like this trade? Vinny Castilla is a horrible hitter (if he's not playing in Coors Field). And he's 38 years old. And his contract is disgusting. This is not the 140-RBI Castilla of years past. It's a .220, 10 HR, 40 RBI guy at best.

MLB ERA
    sadly .220 / 10 / 40 is more than we normally get ........ lol

MLB ERA
    Vinny had a down year last year.......the year before that .275/35/131..........yes in CO.........but he's better than anyone we currently have or have had in a few years at 3rd base.........plus he plays a better defensive 3rd than Burroughs.......sadly that's true.........and dumped BLaw in the move........BLaw was basically worthless.........

Castilla is just a 2 year fix at most anyway...... I'd love to have better & younger.......but this is a Towers move.....get older and provide a stopgap measure.......hopefully it will work........ RT power is fine in Petco

MLB ERA
    mark my words PFF, this time next year you will be cursing Vinny Castilla and management for having the audacity to acquire him.

I do not like this trade one iota.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA
    Oh, I can't teach you to play like Tiny Iota.

He was a great one.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kevin Towers was the one who dissed Jim Bowden by calling him an idiot and the worst GM in baseball saying he never even bothered to answer his phone calls.

How funny.

This trade is very good ... FOR ME TO POOP ON!

MLB ERA
    when did Towers say that?

Anyways, I guess the main motivation behind the deal is that Vinny has one year left on his multi-million dollar contract and BLaw has two.

I still don't like it, though

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Here.
    His progess was of such interest that Nationals' General Manager Jim Bowden was rumored to be in attendance for at least one of the Fisher Cats/Senators games. The thought of seeing the parent club's GM was of no interest to Harrisburg radio announcer Terry Byrom. Byrom passed along a story from last season, when he was calling games for the San Diego Padres' Single-A Midwest League affiliate in Fort Wayne, Ind. Byrom says that he had a pretty good relationship with San Diego General Manager Kevin Towers, who would visit periodically to check on the organization's prospects. During a radio interview, Byrom jokingly asked Towers if there were any fellow major league GMs he did not like to deal with in trade talks.

"Only one," Towers replied. "And I'll name him. Jim Bowden. The guy's an idiot. I won't take his calls, and I don't think many others do."

Byrom was stunned at Towers' candor that day, but now that he's had the opportunity to meet Bowden in person, or perhaps the better description is get blown off in person, he shares Towers's sentiments. Bowden, while the Cincinnati Reds GM in 2002, set off a wave of controversy when responding to the media's questions regarding a potential players' strike. "If they do walk out, make sure it's September 11," Bowden told reporters. "Be symbolic. Let (Players' Association leader) Donald Fehr drive the plane right into the building, if that's what they want to do."

Bowden was dismissed by the Reds in July 2003, did some work for ESPN, and then was hired by Major League Baseball to run the MLB-owned Nationals last November. The FCN will go out on a limb and predict that when the the team finally gets new ownership, Bowden won't have his contract renewed.

Package up Burroughs and Chan Ho? How many of the top prospects will the Padres have to give or what excessive expensive old OF will they need to take to get a team to take those two?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Although, what if this opened something like (since you guys have 4 SP right now)

Wells for Otsuka or Wells for Burroughs/Prospect? Otsuka's stretching it (although the Sox need as many arms as possible), but just a thought.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Package up Burroughs and Chan Ho? How many of the top prospects will the Padres have to give or what excessive expensive old OF will they need to take to get a team to take those two?
    My thoughts exactly. The Padres need to stop trying to dump their big contracts off and just suck them up and let them expire. Dumping them only does one of two things. Gives up prospects unnecesarily and/or brings an equally riddiculous contract back in return (see: Nevin for Chan Ho)

In regards to Boomer, I wouldn't mind Aki for Boomer.

From what I'm seeing, most Sox fans are saying Aki is too much to ask for for Wells.

Trust me, I wouldn't be shocked to see something involving Burroughs and Wells go down with Lucchino and Towers in the picture for opposite sides. It could get bigger (such as adding in a guy like Klesko or Nixon on one side or the other), but it's an interesting proposition. Burroughs sucked last year, but outside of PetCo, he isn't as bad as he seems and he'd be great for the Sox v. RHP. Platoon him with Youkilis, and then play Youkilis/??? (at first) against lefties.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo
    mark my words PFF, this time next year you will be cursing Vinny Castilla and management for having the audacity to acquire him.

I do not like this trade one iota.
    Hey now.....I said if you could get better that'd be fine too.....but Castilla in a down year last year, was still better than the best Burroughs has to offer....... so at least they are showing they realize that the team we had sucked and needed certain changes......... I don't think I over praised Castilla......just made a point that he's better than what he had, which IMO is true

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    From what I'm seeing, most Sox fans are saying Aki is too much to ask for for Wells.

Trust me, I wouldn't be shocked to see something involving Burroughs and Wells go down with Lucchino and Towers in the picture for opposite sides. It could get bigger (such as adding in a guy like Klesko or Nixon on one side or the other), but it's an interesting proposition. Burroughs sucked last year, but outside of PetCo, he isn't as bad as he seems and he'd be great for the Sox v. RHP. Platoon him with Youkilis, and then play Youkilis/??? (at first) against lefties.
    Slappy Burroughs in Fenway = Boggs the 2nd coming IMO....... he'll learn to play pepper with the Green Monster and make a career of it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast