Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Tony Gwynn renews contract at SDSU

TG da man

Gwynn signs deal to stay three more years

By Kirk Kenney
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    August 17, 2005

Tony Gwynn signs on for three more years as baseball coach at San Diego State.
    Autograph requests are dropped on San Diego State baseball coach Tony Gwynn's desk every day, but he received one yesterday that was given immediate attention.
    Jeff Schemmel, SDSU's new director of athletics, dropped a new contract on the desk of Gwynn, who quickly signed the three-year deal.

Gwynn's original three-year contract expired six weeks ago, but the signing delay was more a function of getting coach and AD in the same room together than getting them to agree on contract terms.

"The biggest thing I can say is people know I will be here another three years," said Gwynn, who will earn $100,000 a year. "It wasn't about the money. It was more about letting people know this is where I want to be and that I'm still here.

"When I signed the original deal three years ago, people said I would never see the end of it. Well, I finished that one out, and I'm starting my second three years. I don't see myself doing anything different for a while. I'm really happy."

Said Schemmel in a school statement: "His desire and enthusiasm have made him a great asset to SDSU. We appreciate his efforts on behalf of the program and his passion for San Diego State baseball. I look forward to helping him achieve national prominence with our baseball program."

Gwynn said he was offered a five-year contract.

"I think three years is the right length," he said. "I need to leave my options open, too. I don't want to be locked down for five years. What happens if we win a national title and I'm sitting here making what I made when I originally took the job? You've got to have some room to grow."

There is plenty of room to grow.

Gwynn guided the Aztecs to the Mountain West Conference Tournament final in his first two seasons as coach, earning MWC Coach of the Year in 2004. SDSU finished 26-35 in 2005, dropping Gwynn's three-year record to 90-96. The Aztecs are still looking for their first NCAA postseason appearance since 1991.

"The basic premise remains in place," said Gwynn. "You still have to recruit, teach guys, they still have to trust you, you still have to schedule well, raise money and do all those things a college coach has to do.

"Three years later, the vision's clearer – you've got to beat people. Win games and the rest of it will take care of itself."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Kirk Kenney: (619) 293-1825; kirk.kenney@uniontrib.com
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Great news for SDSU..............bad news for the broadcast booth of the Pads........that means three more years of Mutt
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    Tony was calling the Jay/Angels game last night on ESPN2......
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    I like Tony calling a game.......he brings a level of credibility to the booth that not many can......he is very well spoken, and I'm not sure there is anyone better to break down a hitter or pitcher when it comes to mechanics...... IMO

MLB ERA

Padres

I hear ya.....So, Tony won't be doing any games next season?

I'm hoping against hope that Tony analyzed Steve Finely's at bats last night and saw whatever it is that he is doing wrong. Finely just plain sucks at the plate, especially since coming back off the DL. Next stop for Finely is the same fate as Brett Boone.....being released. THAT would be a bummer, IMO. Then again, maybe Finely just needs to step down and call it quits as an active player. It seems like Scoscia has been grooming him for a coaching position, either that or he really likes him.

MLB ERA
    Don't know about the number of games he'll be doing, just know that he said it's tough to do both......so we'll see........

Update on Nevin.........lol.......... Nevin was pulled into the Managers office two days ago and told that his duties will be reduced to DHing vs. lefties only for the rest of the season........... what a great deal that was........ 10 mil dollar part-time DH :laugh

MLB ERA

Padres

Another possible release in the making.....bummer...

MLB ERA
    That's one SPENSIVE release........lol........ I feel so badly for that dump