Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Policing terrible umpires

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Re: Policing terrible umpires

Where do you think I got it from 11 years Army here. I have learned over the years that certain things that fly in the military dont fly in the civilian world and it's pretty sad.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    The problem is, if Bochy sees that the umpire is holding a grudge on Clay Hensley and getting all his players on base do you think he's going to agree with Bud Black when Bud complains?
    I thought we weren't talking about that game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    The only "dumb idea" is the idea that everything is ok and nothing should be done at all.

As far as their reviews, it's a total joke and you know it. When was the last time an umpire lost his job because of poor performance ? When was the last time we heard of an umpire being demoted for poor performance ?

Oh yah.....NEVER
    Who knows because it's never major news. I am sure it happens every year. People get demoted and fired in every job. Why would this be any different? Are you confused why the implemented QuesTech? Am I the only one that keeps up with baseball because it sure seems like it!!!!!!

On a side note, how you like them exclamation points? And please tell me where I said this? "Yeah, they suck, but their sucking effects both teams!"
    I'm not defending umpires but I am being realistic and living in the real world. Umpires make judgement calls and sometimes they are wrong. It's been like that since the beginning. Never going to change since no one is perfect.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I thought we weren't talking about that game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's an example, but that doesn't mean the idea behind this idea doesn't apply elsewhere.

This is the same dumb logic that was used in the Bonds* HR thread. I use an example and suddenly that's specifically what i'm talking about.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

And please tell me where I said this? "Yeah, they suck, but their sucking effects both teams!"
    right here

Because it's fair to both teams if they are equally bad.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Nah see a quote is a quote and they don't say the same thing. It's funny how all of this is over one game in April

MLB ERA

Nah see a quote is a quote and they don't say the same thing. It's funny how all of this is over one game in April
    They mean the same thing. Let's not argue semantics here.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Jawdawg......if you're a project leader wrecking a project, it's not uncommon for the person doing a poor job to be replaced as project leader. This isn't out of the norm by a longshot. Now I agree that its never going to happen, but something needs to be done. So come up with an alternative option....

I would conceed that you can't put in the hands of the managers, but how about a non-bias, inhouse MLB representative who's sole purpose is to make sure the best interest of MLB is upheld during each game.....whatever that maybe
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA

Yah we've never discussed the umpires and terrible calls in here before..... ...... This is a first

Future All-American
    AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever View Post
    Jawdawg......if you're a project leader wrecking a project, it's not uncommon for the person doing a poor job to be replaced as project leader. This isn't out of the norm by a longshot. Now I agree that its never going to happen, but something needs to be done. So come up with an alternative option....

I would conceed that you can't put in the hands of the managers, but how about a non-bias, inhouse MLB representative who's sole purpose is to make sure the best interest of MLB is upheld during each game.....whatever that maybe
    I did give you an alternative, it may have been a little science fiction, but I think we need to move towards using better technology to help out and automate the process of calling balls and strikes.

Hows this, take the calling of balls and strikes out of the hands of the home plate ump, put an ump in a booth somewhere with the Carls Jr strike zone on TV and let him call the balls and strikes from a booth watching a monitor, they will show up on the score board as he calls them. That would probably be the most accurate and efficient way of doing it right now, plus it would not allow the managers to come out and argue pitches and kick dirt all over everyone. How's that huh???

MLB ERA

I'd prefer to keep the human element in the ballgame, and just improve their overall performances......players have gotten better, umpires have gotten progressively worse over the decades, at least it seems that way to me....I'm not for technology in baseball.....I believe it needs to be kept as pure as possible meaning the less technology the better.....if you have to alter the rules slightly to improve the game, I'm for that instead of adding machinery

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Yes, it was one game, but are umpires held accountable for their bad calls? I haven't seen any piece of writing that says they are.....players are tossed from games and possibly fined over a bad call by the umpire, so who's holding them accountable?
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Of course they are held accountable. Where have you guys been? This is from this year from a guy who pisses more baseball than all of us combined.

MLB.com: How much has the art of catching changed over the years?

Bob Boone: The biggest thing for me might be the umpires. There was a time when a catcher couldn't get out of the box. You couldn't get offsides at all. If you did, umpires would be saying, "Look dude, you are outside, you aren't catching." It was a little easier to get pitches because the umpires had their strike zone.

I think the addition of QuesTech has really forced the umpires into looking into the ball, and they don't care how the catcher catches it.

Brian Schneider: Bob could probably tell you that back in the day, catchers used to catch a lot more. Is that correct?

Boone: Well, a handful of guys did. People always say, "What happened to all the catchers? You had Johnny Bench, Gary Carter, Carlton Fisk and you." I said, "OK." Most teams have two guys who were kind of in a platoon. Very few guys catch 100 games. Those guys did. But when you look at it, there weren't really that many. But I don't think there is really a lot of difference, as far as the quality of catching.

Schneider: QuesTech has come into play a lot. The reason I say that is because, you ask an umpire, "Where is the ball at?" And a lot of times, he'll say, "That won't happen as a strike," or "I'm going to get graded on this." They are really worried about calling the right kind of game.
    To think umpires aren't fired or let go for bad performances over a season is just being ignorant. Baseball is a business and is run like a business. You guys are overreacting to one game and it's pretty sad.

MLB ERA

Reefer......for the very last time.....it's not about one game.......it's about many many years, and this isn't a new topic....it was only renewed due to the shitty calls during the SF/SD game....it's not about that game.......why can't you grasp that very simple concept ?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The concept is that you guys starting crying religiously about it after that game and were asking for fines and making absurd recommendations to solve a problem that is unsolvable. Every game has shitty calls but this is the one that sent you overboard. I grasp the concept very well and it's hilarious.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast