Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manny news in Bold

AAA ERA

Manny news in Bold

tonight was the season tickets holder meeting for the padres and amongst the great food.

Alot of the FO was there to talk about the upcoming season and answer questions.

Among the people there where GM Kevin Towers, CEO Sandy Alderson, Grady Fuson Announcer Ted Lightner

a few things that might clear some things up...

As could have been predicted we didn't get much new info.

- Blum is going to be signed tomorrow for sure. 2nd season in a row where Blum's name was rolled out to "excite" the fans with the return of a "fan favorite"...

- Graffanino, Durham, Loretta, and Giles are still in the mix as possibilities for 2b.

- Bonds won't be coming here. Teddy Ballgame and KT made that fairly clear.

- Management feels they still have a shot at Manny, and at the very least feel their efforts will drive up the asking price for the Dodgers. If the Dodgers get Ramirez the price will have been directly affected by our offers.

- Arbitration will be offered to all eligible players other than Piazza. KT said they were still deciding on him, but didn't want to offer at risk of him accepting and forcing a $10 million deal.

- Spent some time justifying the Barfield trade to the emotionally attached fans... Some people can't see the logic in acquiring a cheap potential cleanup-type bat at a premium position in an exploding market.

- Matt Bush is going to remain at SS for the foreseeable future. Fuson felt he made strides last season despite all the injuries.

- Peavy and Gonzalez and Young will not be traded as they are all under team control. And More Peavy and Gonzoles will not be traded for Manny. KT commented on how ridiculous that rumor was.

- There was lots of free food again... hot dogs, pork sandwiches, clam chowder, pizza, popcorn, cracker jacks...

- KT insists we're going to fill our two empty rotation spots with quality arms... but keep in mind that quality arms in the past has meant Estes, Redding, Valdez, and May among others...

- Mentioned very little about LF other than the bit about Manny. Alderson did say he truly felt we were missing a pair of right handed power bats.

Really not much to go on overall... They insisted yet again that this club would be better going into next season and that our goal was to reach the World Series. KT also said he'd "go out on a limb" and guarantee this club would perform better next season... whether that means he's got something up his sleeve I'm not sure...

That's all I can remember right now. If I forgot something I'll post it.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen

- Mentioned very little about LF other than the bit about Manny. Alderson did say he truly felt we were missing a pair of right handed power bats.

Go

Figure

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Get over it......it was never going to happen considering what they got...harping on it is pathetic
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Get over it......it was never going to happen considering what they got...harping on it is pathetic
    Humor is not harp.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

The Giants threw big dollars at Carlos Lee, more money in fact, than the Houston Astros did. But Lee made it very clear he did not want to play on the west coast. The Padres are going to have to find that left fielder via trade, I don't think it's going to be a free agent in my opinion.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Was it even possible for the Padres to offer Soriano the kind of money that the Cubs did?

AAA ERA
    yeah we have the money right now it just would not have been smart

Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    The Giants threw big dollars at Carlos Lee, more money in fact, than the Houston Astros did. But Lee made it very clear he did not want to play on the west coast. The Padres are going to have to find that left fielder via trade, I don't think it's going to be a free agent in my opinion.
    Can I get a link, please? I've heard a few people say this but have yet to see such news.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Don't have a link that actually says that, at least not that I've seen. I heard this from Darren Smith at XX Sports Radio on the air a few days ago.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

AAA ERA
    i had a link that said that i dont know where it was but i read it in one of my many newspapers online let me look one sec

AAA ERA
    I can't give you the link becasue it looks like I didnt supply it on one of my other boards but this is a copy of my post which i copied directly from the article.

No Carlos Lee for us... per rotoworld and LA Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please delete if already posted.

Free agent Carlos Lee has told the Dodgers that he doesn't want to play on the West Coast.

That'd also rule out San Francisco. The Orioles and Astros seem to be Lee's principal suitors at the moment, with the Orioles sure to offer more money and the Astros hoping that Lee's Houston ties make up for some of the difference in contracts. Philadelphia is the wild card.
    Source: Los Angeles Times

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Good source Trevortime....thanks.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Quote Originally Posted by trevortime101
    I can't give you the link becasue it looks like I didnt supply it on one of my other boards but this is a copy of my post which i copied directly from the article.

No Carlos Lee for us... per rotoworld and LA Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please delete if already posted.

Free agent Carlos Lee has told the Dodgers that he doesn't want to play on the West Coast.

That'd also rule out San Francisco. The Orioles and Astros seem to be Lee's principal suitors at the moment, with the Orioles sure to offer more money and the Astros hoping that Lee's Houston ties make up for some of the difference in contracts. Philadelphia is the wild card.
    Source: Los Angeles Times
    How does one NOT want to play on the West coast

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Carlos Lee has a ranch in the Houston area.
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Was it even possible for the Padres to offer Soriano the kind of money that the Cubs did?
    the money per year wasn't the issue....it was the length of contract that would never have been done here....I think if you're talking a 5 year deal, we'd have still be able to make a run at him....but to offer a contract that length to a 31 year old.....even if the last two years are options.......is just crazy...and there is no was SA gets us involved in that....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast