Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I give up.

AA ERA

Padres

Ok, I think I have made it clear that I have not liked what has happened this offseason, with the exception of them retaining Balsley which I am drop dead shocked over, but I think if all you want to do is judge the progress of the offseason by is the payroll, you are jumping the gun. They have bid on at least one player in Japan, maybe two and before they make any real moves they need to see where that goes. Also, you know they want to resign Wells to a one year deal and Wells has said, or I believe he has said that the Padres is the only organization he will play for next year, so if they want to retain his services they will have to be keeping about 10 million in the kitty for a last second deal, because I doubt Wells will sign until mid training camp at the soonest, probably during the preseason, Vets like him simply do not like to go to training camp and the fact is they are in such high demand they can get away with not going and playing their way into shape during preseason.

We can ***** about them letting go a great coach, it is well deserved,

We can ***** about them letting go some great players, at least in Roberts case it is well deserved,

but if it is just the payroll you are looking at, it is jumping the gun to call them out yet, there are simply to many things happening that they can not control to close the deals you need to see to prove if they are or are not going to stick to at least last years payroll as promised by Sandy {I think}

John B.
    John B.

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I think for many the feelings about letting Bochy go are probably more due to a certain comfort level that was built.....it's like having the same job forever and not wanting to leave it to try something new......the new job could easily be better, but you're so comfortable where you're at that you pass up on change.....Bochy left much to be desired in many aspects of his style of coaching, and while I'm sorry to see him go, I understand that it was time for a change as well......

The only thing that shocks me was the timing........coming off back to back NLWest titles, and he's allowed to walk......very strange IMO.....

DR is simple.....we need a power bat in LF, not an injury prone, guy coming off a career year who will get too much money....and I love DR.....but we need a different type of player out in LF....
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

AA ERA
    Ok, let me ask you this, how many players traded from the Pads have hit better elsewhere? I can think of only one, Nady, who was traded against Bochy's wishes if I recall correctly and the rest have done as bad or worse than they have did here elsewhere. A coach can only do so much with what he is given and the big bench mark about how well a coach is doing is how well the players that leave the organization do elsewhere and as a whole, pitchers as well as hitter have took a down turn when they have left the Pads, you got to call the man who is acquiring the talent on the mat when that is happening, not the coach.

I did agree with the hitting coach change at the time, but now I am having second thoughts, how much of that was Magadan's coaching and how much of that was orders from the top that he was to turn the Pads into a power hitting team? It will be very interesting to see how the Red Sox's do next year with their offense, I for one will be watching the Red Sox's as well as the Giants and Pads very closely to see what happens. I really think the cancer in this organization is above the Head Coach, not the Head Coach or below.

John B.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    Ozzie Smith, Gary Matthews Jr. & Gary Sheffield came to mind.....Or did you mean in recent history

AA ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Ozzie Smith, Gary Matthews Jr. & Gary Sheffield came to mind.....Or did you mean in recent history
    Ok, you get the smartass award for today.
    John B.

MLB ERA
    ty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12