Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HUGELY informative article

Quote Originally Posted by padrefanforever
    Well I don't consider a getting a square peg for a round hole a move...... he's not a 3bag, wasn't a 3bag, and still isn't a 3bag..... therefore he never addressed 3rd base IMO
    Makes pretty good sense. There's nothing we can really say to back up our offseason moves other than speculate that Betemit and everyone else weren't worth it.

MLB ERA
    Well I don't consider a getting a square peg for a round hole a move...... he's not a 3bag, wasn't a 3bag, and still isn't a 3bag..... therefore he never addressed 3rd base IMO
    more semantics, I know

but he did address third base, he just did a miserable job at doing it.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    He never addressed 3rd base IMO.......he could have stuck Ryan Klesko there and that would be addressing 3rd base in this line of thinking.....

By not getting a 3bag, we never addressed 3rd base.....it's that simple......I don't think this is semantics.....I think it's a cut and dry case of neglecting your duties when the season is on the line
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

MLB ERA
    Another question here:

Does anyone think Alderson should get some of the blame here too? He's the one who allows the GM to do this and that.

MLB ERA
    Well first........Alderson doesn't "allow" the GM to do things.....the GM has near complete atonomy when making roster decisions. Now having said that Sandy can veto a deal, but he's said repeatedly that he wouldn't unless it was a clear cut mistake for the team.

Sandy has also said that he's partially to blame as is KT, Fusion & DePodesto....he's said that this is a team effort from the FO down, win as a team, lose as a team, make good decisions as a team etc.... to me is sounds like BS though.....the PC thing to say etc....

MLB ERA
    He never addressed 3rd base IMO.......he could have stuck Ryan Klesko there and that would be addressing 3rd base in this line of thinking.....

By not getting a 3bag, we never addressed 3rd base.....it's that simple......I don't think this is semantics.....I think it's a cut and dry case of neglecting your duties when the season is on the line
    He took steps to change what we had there after it was clear that what was there wasn't working. That's addressing the situation.

Just because he had to go with a fallback plan and ended up failing at doing so does not mean he didn't address the situation.

Not addressing the situation would've been keeping Vinny and/or Bellhorn there.

MLB ERA
    I don't believe plugging in just some guy is addressing the situation.....and I don't believe this to be semantics.......he never got us a 3bag, simple as that.... he might as well have given Peavy his shot at everyday play since Merv thinks Peavy can be a big league hitter, instead of jamming a 2nd baseman into the hole at 3rd....

Not getting a 3bag, is not addressing the situation...... Had he gone and gotten a 3bag and that guy failed, he would have at least addressed our needs regardless of the success....

MLB ERA
    we can go back and forth on this all day.

I'll end with the definision of "addressing"

ad·dress ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-drs)
    tr.v. ad·dressed, ad·dress·ing, ad·dress·es
    1. To speak to: addressed me in low tones.
    2. To make a formal speech to.
    3. To direct (a spoken or written message) to the attention of: address a protest to the faculty senate.
    4. To mark with a destination: address a letter.
      1. To direct the efforts or attention of (oneself): address oneself to a task.
      2. To deal with: addressed the issue of absenteeism.
    5. To dispatch or consign (a ship, for example) to an agent or factor.
    5 is the one that applies here and nowhere in that definition do I see anything about succesfully taking care of a task, it only reads about directing ones attention to it.

So unless you're telling me Walker just walked away from the Cubs, bought his own Padres jersey and started playing ball for the Padres under KT's nose, KT addressed the situation.

He just failed miserably at doing so.

All that aside, this IS semantics (as we're arguing the definition of "addressing the situation" when it all boils down) and we can both agree that it was a dumb move.

MLB ERA
    Well I disagree, I don't think he's addressed the situation.....I don't believe that any of those definitions apply to this situation....I think if you try really hard you can twist them to it, but I don't believe realistically apply...

So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.......

Even though we both agree that we still need a 3bag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12