Thread: Free Agent Crib Notes: First Base

MLB ERA

Free Agent Crib Notes: First Base

Julio Franco- I can’t see him leaving Atlanta, could you? For a guy who’s almost 50, he still looks younger than the 25 year-old Otis Nixon.

Scott Hatteberg-Unfortunately, the ill-advised contract extension that Oakland gave him two years typecast Hatteberg as a “Moneyball” type, and that will turn off some teams. Still, Hatteberg has use in a platoon or reserve role, although he probably shouldn’t start anymore.

Paul Konerko- The thing about Konerko isn’t that he’ll be overpaid, it’s that he’ll be under contract for well into his decline phase. The smart team pays him more up front so they aren’t on the hook for that fourth or fifth year. I don’t think the smart team will sign him. The White Sox will likely him keep him out of sense of obligation to keep the championship squad together, coupled with the fact that he’s the best 1B out there, and it isn’t close.

Travis Lee- A bit more useful than guys down the list, he’s at least shown that he won’t cripple you for a month or two.

Kevin Millar- He lost a lot of power last year, but most teams can find a use for a righty bat that can play the corners of the field (badly). He really needs to give up the “I wanna go with my firends” shtick, though. Be a man, Kevin.

Mark Sweeney-He finally got the PT, and showed that he can draw walks with some pop. You shouldn’t count on him hitting .294 again, but he’ll be a smart signing somewhere.

If you pay these guys more than 1 million dollars in a season, or treat them as anything other than pinch-hitters or emergency reserves, then you aren’t really trying.

Greg Colbrunn
    Dave Hansen
    John Olerud
    Olmedo Saenz
    Daryle “Heavy D” Ward
    Tino Martinez
    Doug Misspelling
    J.T. Snow
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Dave Hansen... still plays?
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    All good points here Saber. Sounds like i don't want any of these guys for my team.

MLB ERA
    Hansen may or may not be playing. I honestly didn't check. He can't be much worse than Marlon Anderson, can he?
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I haven't heard his name mentioned in years. Wow.
    I guess, but Marlon was recently signed by someone, for over a million. Armageddeon is around the corner too.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Anderson hit .329 as a pinch hitter last year, of course he's going to get money. And Anderson didn't get over a million, he got 925K each year of a 2 year deal.

MLB ERA
    Oh.

I take it all back then. The same great mind that signed Cristian Guzman and Vinny Castilla is right once again about MARLON ANDERSON.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Goes with the poverty of the Nationals.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    I hated to see Julio Franco leave the Braves and to go to the Mets just makes it worse but those young rookies are the of the Braves.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    What's Franco have to do with outfielders? Atlanta is stuck with an ADD sack of crap at 1B.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    LaRoche is a decent player but will need help.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."