Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: NL Cy Young: Is it really even a question who is the leading candidate?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Clemens won it over Johnson last year even though Johnson's numbers were better. Carpenter should win it this year. That's Justice...........Dave Justice. Justice's penis should be in the HOF for have ****ed Halle Berry. Just a thought.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Hah. Nice outing by Clemens tonight.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Wow, 3 innings and 5 earned runs. 5 hits, 5 walks, and only 2 k's...up to 1.78 now basically a .4 difference in ERA.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    if funny when you say that and his ERA ballons to 1.78 people.......
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    who said ballooned? I said it was up to 1.78 and Carpenters is 2.21, so it's about a .4 difference as opposed to the .75 difference it was before tonight. And Clemens got pulled after 3.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No one, i just wanted a reaction
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    As some of us expected, Clemen's ERA continues to rise as Carpneter's stays steady with a slight decline. Bottom line is that Carpenter keeps winning games for his team.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    As some of us expected, Clemen's ERA continues to rise as Carpneter's stays steady with a slight decline. Bottom line is that Carpenter keeps winning games for his team.
    But Clemens still leads in ERA and age!

If Clemens ERA keeps rising, then I'll move to the Jedi's side (and trust me, I want to support the one true great athlete from my high school, Chris Carpenter actually went to my HS, which is an interesting coincidence), we'll see. With that jump in ERA, it could be a lot closer to equal for me.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Here are their stats since the All Star Break!

Clemens 4-4 2.30 ERA
    Carpenter 8-0 1.79 ERA

They have both been great since the All Star Break, but Carpenter has been better. Clemens is beginning to come back to earth, and Carpenter is forgetting that he's human.

MLB ERA
    Carpenter has a very good chance of leading the entire Major Leagues in Wins, ERA, and Strikeouts! Is there a triple crown in pitching? lol

I don't think there's an official one, but it's so much easier to get that triple crown than the hitting one. Didn't Johan do it last year? Or did Schilling beat him in wins? Still quite impressive.

Funny, A .5 ERA difference doesn't matter when determining Cy Young, but when that same difference is applied over a smaller period of time, it means that Clemens is coming down to Earth and Carpenter is superhuman.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I don't think there's an official one, but it's so much easier to get that triple crown than the hitting one. Didn't Johan do it last year? Or did Schilling beat him in wins? Still quite impressive..
    It is a lot easier, and I'm not even sure if those would be the three categories that you would want to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Funny, A .5 ERA difference doesn't matter when determining Cy Young, but when that same difference is applied over a smaller period of time, it means that Clemens is coming down to Earth and Carpenter is superhuman.
    Some of us don't feel the CY Young should just simply be awarded to the pitcher with the lowest ERA. There are other factors that should be considered, and win/loss record is one of those factors.

MLB ERA
    I used to be in the camp that a pitcher's win/loss record was misleading, and I still believe that they are to an extent. However, I do not believe, as some do, that wins are meaningless. They can be very misleading though when an average pitcher has a high ERA and a lot of wins.

I give little to no weight to wins and losses. It doesn't mean I'm a pure ERA guy, although that is my primary factor in determining my selection for Cy Young. If two pitchers have an ERA that is close enough to make me think harder, at least in respect to IP (which is also extremely important. Not ERA important, but important. Although then I could argue ERA is not exactly accurate since a borderline error can turn into multiple UER that won't show up on ERA but was the pitcher's fault). The only reason Carpenter is in this race to me is the amount of innings he's pitched.

For me, wins are too luck and team based to take seriously, and to an extent, losses are too.

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast