Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There Is No Limit To Cubs' Misery

MLB ERA

There Is No Limit To Cubs' Misery

There Is No Limit to Cubs' Misery
    Now they're not even the best team in town

By CincyRedsFan30

Strike3forums.com

Just when it seems like the Cubs have exercised every possible method of misery and ineptitude, they surprise even the most difficult to surprise.

The team, made more infamous than ever by the Bartman-BillyGoat tag-team of smackdown, is now not even the best team in town.

They've been replaced as the King in Chicago by the White-Hot White Sox, who show no signs of slowing down as they continue their ridiculously good start to the season.

It's hard not to laugh at the poor Cubbies. Even those with the most straight poker faces have a hard time not laughing at one of pro sports' most embarrassing franchises.

The White Sox don't draw nearly the fans to games that the Cubs do, but does it really matter anymore? The Cubs had their chance of invigorating not only the city, but the country, by breaking The Curse and relinquishing their "Loveable Loser" title, but rules are made not to be broken, and it seems to be a rule that the Cubs not win.

Imagine the backlash from fans if their crosstown rivals go on to win the World Series this year. Cubs fans might finally throw in the towel and give up. Could anyone really blame them?

What's even more frustrating for Cubs fans is that the White Sox have taken the Cubs' place by stealing the Cubs' strategy to success: Good Starting Pitching.

Check out this stat: The White Sox lead MLB in team ERA with an almost unheard of 3.17 mark. The next closest team, the pitching-laden Braves, have a 3.34 ERA. The Cubs' team ERA is 4.01, which isn't bad at all, but not in the league with the White Sox. The Cubs have been beaten at their own game.

There's also that little issue of injuries haunting the Cubs. Kerry Wood is not the same pitcher that impressed so many when he first came up to the bigs. Mark Prior's health is always an unkown. Carlos Zambrano suffers from temper tantrums and "tennis elbow". Greg Maddux uses a cane whenver he walks from the dugout to the mound. Their Closer position is the proverbial revolving door, and that door has circled around so many times that it's hard not to get dizzy.

Dusty Baker has become so desperate that he has attempted to dump Holy Water all over his players. Although that makes more sense and is a lot less disgusting than what Moises Alou would have probably done if he were still on the team(one good thing about him not being there), it hasn't worked.

They will probably have enough pitching for the next couple of years to hang relatively close to the playoff race, but there's nothing to suggest they'll get over the top.

And it could only get worse before the end of the season. A White Sox offense that has relied mainly on a "small-ball" approach thus far could be getting back Frank Thomas at some point this season. If they do, that could just further the "Big Hurt" put on the seemingly always hurting Cubbies.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    not even 5 minutes after you post this prior gets hit with a line drive on his elbow
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild
    not even 5 minutes after you post this prior gets hit with a line drive on his elbow
    Well, see what I mean?

Apropos.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    haha yep
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AA ERA
    Great piece, CRF

Cubs have clearly been the biggest dissapointment in baseball. I thought they would do a lot better. Now granted that they have tough luck, but geez. This team find ways to implode and lose. Ever since that Bartman game in the NLCS, the Cubs really never recovered. It shows you the lack of character of the players of that team.

I will be shocked if Dusty is with the Cubs next year.

No offense to White Sox and their fans, but Chicago will always be Cubs town no matter how much the White Sox succeed.

MLB ERA
    Chalk up another win for Murphy's Law.

Murphy's Law 1,000,000
    Cubs 0
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Any manager that loves Neifi Perez so much has to take some of the blame, at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    The truth of the matter is when you have a struggling ball club like the Cubs who can't produce the timely hits and their team chemistry is horrid, you know part of the blame relies on the players. You can't blame the entire organization on the manager, right? Yeah, it sucks to see any manager for a struggling ball club fired from his position, but if I were a GM, I'd give my boss one more year to rebuild.

AA ERA
    What happened to Prior today was so unfortunate. Very scary. It was chilling to the spine out there if you watch the highlights. He is likely gone for the year and who knows about his career. I am no Prior fan, but I don't wish anyone with that type of injury. It's really unfortunate for him and the Cubs.

MLB ERA
    I blame Dusty for getting "his" guys on the team, and running down his pitching staff.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    What happened to Prior today was so unfortunate. Very scary. It was chilling to the spine out there if you watch the highlights. He is likely gone for the year and who knows about his career. I am no Prior fan, but I don't wish anyone with that type of injury. It's really unfortunate for him and the Cubs.
    You have to feel for a talented pitcher like Prior. He is probably starting to think his career has been destroyed because he plays on one of the most unlucky teams in the history of sports. How can you blame the players if they start to really believe after a while that stuff happens to them because they are really cursed? The whole situation is just insane.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Any manager that loves Neifi Perez so much has to take some of the blame, at least.
    Nefi had a nice night, but I often wonder WTF he is doing playing so much on this team.

I almost want to belive that we will never make the WS again, but I still have some faith. As a Cubs fan I think it's my job to give up on the team 5-6 times a year, even if they end up winning the division. That's just the way I and alot of other Cubs fans are. One week changes everything in our minds.

It just makes me sick to think of all the things that have happened to us and how up and down everyhting has been.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Great write up CRF. Sorry it took me so long to read it. But, I agree that the Cubs have it rough. They just can never find a way to win. Bad luck is all around that team. And like Steak said, I will be shocked to see Dusty Baker as the Cubs manager next year as well. Great writing again CRF!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Neifi is hitting .298 and plays good defense. That should be reason enough.

MLB ERA
    Thanks a lot redsrbetter!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast