Thread: Hernandez Five Days Late--With Permission

Pirates Hernandez Five Days Late--With Permission

BRADENTON, Fla. (AP) -- Given permission to report late to spring training, reliever Roberto Hernandez arrived in the Pittsburgh Pirates' camp Tuesday.

Hernandez received the OK to report late from general manager Dave Littlefield because the pitcher's father is ailing. Hernandez needed the extra time to move his parents from his native Dominican Republic to his current home in Gulfport.

"My dad's the last one from his side of the family, so I'm trying to make sure he's OK and that he has the best doctors around him," Hernandez said. "He'll be able to get a lot better care here than in the Dominican."

He also cleared his delay with manager Jim Tracy and pitching coach Jim Colborn.

"They allowed me this, so I appreciate it. I'm deeply gratified," he said. "On the other hand, I'm ready to go."

The 41-year-old right-hander was the New York Mets' most reliable reliever last season with a 2.58 ERA. Working as a setup man, he surrendered a run in only 12 of his 67 appearances.

Pittsburgh signed him to a one-year contract worth $2.75 million, and he'll help set up closer Mike Gonzalez.

"They made a point-blank statement that they want me to help Mike Gonzalez into becoming the best he can be as a closer," he said. "My thing will be to help him as much as I can mentally. The role of a closer has a lot of ups and downs. You beat yourself up more mentally than physically."

Hernandez, who has 324 career saves, also stressed he hopes to continue his solid work of last season.

"My goal every year is not just to hang on," he said. "It's to contribute, to bring something positive."

Hernandez was among 13 pitchers who took the mound Tuesday as part of the team's three-hour workout. He threw an abbreviated session.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I read about this last week. It's good to see that it's excused, although you don't want to see anyone's father being ill.

Hopefully he can help Torres and Marte in setup work this season, and regain his 2005 form(and not pitch like his age says he should.)