Thread: Casey coming home to Pittburgh

Rookie ERA

Pirates Casey coming home to Pittburgh

http://pittsburgh.pirates.mlb.com/NA...=.jsp&c_id=pit

sounds like a good deal for the buccos I am excited for this if it goes threw

thoughts??

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No. This is not a good deal.

He's making 8.5 million next year, and he doesn't put us any better than we would be with Eldred at first. We didn't give up anything, but this is still a waste. I'd would've rather went with Mackowiak or Wilson at first than trade for an overpaid 1B that doesn't have enough pop to play first in the majors.

Ugh, I hate Littlefield. First offering arb to Fogg, now this.

Rookie ERA
    i dunno, i kind of like the trade. is there any other position eldred can play?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You guys don't have to pay Casey's full contract. We gave you 2 million in this deal. makes it a lot sweeter for you guys. Were you guys up on Williams at all anyway?

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    You guys don't have to pay Casey's full contract. We gave you 2 million in this deal. makes it a lot sweeter for you guys. Were you guys up on Williams at all anyway?
    ohh I didn't know of that part of that, no re just resigned Dave for a years contract I didn't think we were planing on a trade

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind dealing Dave. He wasn't to be part of the future anyway. But Littlefield seems intent on bringing back Mackowiak, Wilson and Wigginton(Good). This trade makes little sense from that. Mack and Wilson can play 1B and RF, and Wigginton can play 3B and 1B.

You just took away a position that we could've given to someone we're resigning anyway, plus took on 3-4 mill in payroll, plus blocked our top hitting prospect until at least July.

Ugh.

Rookie ERA
    at what point do you not sign anyone then? casey seems to be a solid guy, that is good in the community. that can go a long way it getting the pirates back on the map here in pittsburgh.

at least we know what we're getting in casey.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I didn't say I didn't like it from a leadership/community role. I'm saying we're adding salary in a place where Littlefield is saying that we already have 3 players that are going to stay here.

I don't mind losing Dave. I don't mind it being Casey as a person. I do mind blocking Eldred. I do mind wasting money, although the Redman deal makes me a little happier.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Friday133
    at what point do you not sign anyone then? casey seems to be a solid guy, that is good in the community. that can go a long way it getting the pirates back on the map here in pittsburgh.

at least we know what we're getting in casey.
    I need to go further with this. I like upgrading. Adding guys like Mench or Nixon would've been nice, and now, seems unlikely. The problem with Casey is, I'm not sure he's an upgrade. We need power at first, we acquire someone that hit less HR than Eldred did in 300 more AB last season.

I'm kinda indifferent about the contracts after the Redman deal, as I said earlier.

Rookie ERA
    good points Wilton Eldred one of our top prospects won't get the time that he deserves, but Casey is the "left handed hitter" that McClathey was so fond of getting so I don't see this as a downfall but some sort of start but we already have two guys who can play first base as you said before in Rob and Craig but im guessing Craig will play RF and Rob will get due time in CF and 3rd base

Rookie ERA
    if i heard correctly, management plans to have eldred start the year in AAA to work on his mechanics. then bring him up around june. i don't pretend to be a huge pirates fan, but where else could he play?

i have also heard they want to part ways with craig wilson and rob makowiak. i like cleaning house, these guys are a dime a dozen in the major leagues.

i like the casey trade, yes he didn't have an allstar season last year, but he has in the past. i think its a chance to protect bay in the lineup. i also think he can rebound this year.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    In BBA's 2004 Prospect Handbook, I believe they said that Eldred would eventually become a 'defensive liability' even at first. He's not moving anywhere else on the diamond.