Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates Trade Adam LaRoche to Boston

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pirates Pirates Trade Adam LaRoche to Boston

No word on for who yet.

Sources: PostGazette and ESPNMobile

I'll withhold comments until I see for who. Garrett Jones has moved to 1B for today's game.
    Last edited by Witlon; 07-22-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Changing source

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Pirates Trade Adam LaRoche to Boston

His brother is going to be heartbroken.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

According to multiple baseball sources, the Pirates will receive shortstop Argenis Diaz and pitcher Hunter Strickland when the deal is finalized. Diaz is known as a gifted defensive player, but there are questions about his bat. The 22-year-old Diaz is hitting .253/.309/.310 with Double-A Portland this year. Strickland, an 18th round pick in 2007, is 5-4 with a 3.35 ERA for the Greenville Drive of the Single-A South Atlantic League this year. The 6-foot-5 20-year-old has shown excellent command for the Drive, with a 51-13 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 83.1 innings this year.
    Credit: WEEI.com

Link: Full Count » Red Sox acquire Adam LaRoche for two prospects

MLB ERA

Does this mean that Lastings Milledge comes up soon as well? He could add a bit of "spark" to the lineup. He isn't on the 40-man roster today, but could be added easily. There are only 39 posters on the roster now.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

There was word last week, I want to say that Jeff Salazaar would be DFA'd to make room for Milledge on the 40 man. That obviously didn't happen, because he pinch hit twice over the weekend.

I would assume that Pearce or Milledge would become a regular, but it may not be until after we find a fulltime spot for Delwyn's bat(IE: A Freddy trade.). I know Moss is struggling anyway, so we could see a Milledge, McCutchen, Delwyn outfield with Garrett Jones staying at first...but I don't know

. I'll keep looking around to see what the experts are saying, and if Lastings goes on the roadie with the team.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

12:31pm: Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus says Diaz is a very good defender who doesn't hit much. He says Strickland is a projectable righty with a fastball around 90 mph and average secondary stuff.

Sources: BaseballProspectus.com and MLBTradeRumors.com

Diaz was the Sox #12 prospect last year, and according to BBA's 2008 book, the Sox thought he could turn into a high average hitter with great defense. So there's still a chance on his bat I guess.

I believe the last middle infielder we acquired from Boston was Freddy Sanchez...and that worked out pretty well for us.

I like the youth movement, and if it opens up a spot for Pearce, Milledge or Young to play get regular at bats, I guess I'm fine with it. Here's to hoping Adam doesn't rebound and give the Red Sox a Type B pick for him, though.(He's on the fringe of being a Type B Free Agent.)

I'd much prefer a pick to these 2 prospects, but overall, I guess it's a worthwhile deal.

MLB ERA

This is easy win for the Red Sox. Yea LaRoche was slumping but he's better than what the Pirates got. Pittsburgh is just epic failing on all accounts this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A win? Two semi-good prospects for 2 months of a first baseman?

I'm happy with the haul, personally.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    This is easy win for the Red Sox. Yea LaRoche was slumping but he's better than what the Pirates got. Pittsburgh is just epic failing on all accounts this year.
    Too bad that is an idiotic statement and you have no clue what you're talking about.

As a decent Pirates fan, things are more exciting now then they've been in years, from an organizational standpoint. A farm system is actually being built, and young players are performing very well. The only real disappointing thing is Maholm's return to the mid-4.00's in ERA, but we should've seen that coming with Duke, Snell, and Gorzellany doing it in the past.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bcshorts View Post
    Too bad that is an idiotic statement and you have no clue what you're talking about.

As a decent Pirates fan, things are more exciting now then they've been in years, from an organizational standpoint. A farm system is actually being built, and young players are performing very well. The only real disappointing thing is Maholm's return to the mid-4.00's in ERA, but we should've seen that coming with Duke, Snell, and Gorzellany doing it in the past.
    I think he meant in terms of trades, where they've given up a few guys and gotten very little in return, to the point of upsetting their own players(See: LaRoche and Jack Wilson). Also, in regards to the inability to negotiate extensions with Wilson and Sanchez.

The Organization may finally be moving in the right direction, but their trades this year haven't been outstanding.

MLB ERA

Perhaps that is what he meant... However, I don't believe their trades have been bad, especially taken in respect to their big picture plan of rebuilding. I think they have gotten a number of quality prospects (plus Lastings Milledge) in return for players that are very expendable. Perhaps the McLouth deal was a loss, but Morton has been outstanding so far, and Hernandez is a very good prospect as well. And the lefty is still very young. McLouth is not a player to build a team around anyways.

MLB ERA

Perhaps that is what he meant... However, I don't believe their trades have been bad, especially taken in respect to their big picture plan of rebuilding. I think they have gotten a number of quality prospects (plus Lastings Milledge) in return for players that are very expendable. Perhaps the McLouth deal was a loss, but Morton has been outstanding so far, and Hernandez is a very good prospect as well. And the lefty is still very young. McLouth is not a player to build a team around anyways.
    I'd agree for the most part, however, I think the Burnett and Morgan for Milledge and Hanrahan trade was a loss(Milledge just has no desire to get better, and Hanrahan hasn't really been consistent at a MLB level). I think the LaRoche trade was a loss, even though he's a rental, they got a no hit SS and a middle reliever at best.

Overall, I think they have a decent young core, but their moves this season, while not AWFUL, have left something to be desired.

MLB ERA

Leave it a Mets fan to think Milledge is useless. Couldnt expect anything less.. However he is playing very well in the minors for the Pirates, and has all the tools to become a fantastic player. I believe there is still a chance that it happens.

MLB ERA

Leave it a Mets fan to think Milledge is useless. Couldnt expect anything less.. However he is playing very well in the minors for the Pirates, and has all the tools to become a fantastic player. I believe there is still a chance that it happens.
    I'm not saying he's useless. He has endless raw talent. But he has never had a desire to work to improve himself. He was an arrogant punk for his first season or so with the Mets to the point where he instigated fights with veterans. He has had numerous legal issues in the past(being in a rap song and using the N-word; statutory rape the year he was drafted by the Mets). He just has never once shown any burning desire to get better, he thinks he's good enough as is. And right now, he's a below average MLB corner outfielder. That's all. If someone gets through to him that he needs to keep working, he can be a HUGE piece. But right now, there's no evidence of that.

MLB ERA

Morning links: Best deal available? - PBC Blog - post-gazette.com

Obviously we don't know the other offer, but is it possible that this article is saying the Pirates didn't even take the best available deal for LaRoche?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast