Thread: Big Deal For Doumit?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pirates Big Deal For Doumit?

The Pittsburgh Post Gazette reports that the Pirates and Ryan Doumit are close to agreeing to terms on a long-term contract extension.
    Doumit is arbitration eligible for the first time and thus already under the team's control through 2011, so the extension is likely for at least four years. Pittsburgh was also interested in locking up Nate McLouth long term, but the newspaper notes that those talks are "close to dead." Like Doumit, McLouth is under the Pirates' control through 2011, so there's no real urgency to get something done.
    Doumit can definitely hit and having a switch hitting catcher is always a plus. Doumit would be 31 at the end of the supposed four year deal so its not a big risk in regards to age. I think the Pirates would be doing themselves some good by locking him up.

MLB ERA

Re: Big Deal For Doumit?

Pirates agreed to terms with catcher Ryan Doumit on a three-year, $11.5 million contract with a club option for 2012 and '13.

According to the Post-Gazette, Doumit gets a $300,000 signing bonus, $2.05 million in 2009, $3.55 million in 2010 and $5.1 million in 2011. The club option for both years will have to be exercised or rejected after 2011. If picked up, Doumit would get $7.25 million in 2012 and $8.25 million in 2013. If declined, Doumit would receive a $500,000 buyout and become a free agent.

It's a nice deal for the Pirates.... can't argue with it. Hope he stays healthy though, because Jason Jaramillo isn't a pretty site to be looking at in the chance something happens to Doumit...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

I disagree with you nick, I don't see how this deal helps the Pirates. Agreed that Doumit is worth locking up long term, but a 3 year deal with options for a 4th and 5th year don't make sense to me when he's arby eligible through 2011. The team is basically paying extra salary money these next 3 years (more than they'd have to give him in arby anyways) just to have an option on the 4th and 5th year, which they'd kind of already have if they were to go into extension talks with him a few years from now. I don't know if that's really fiscally responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

He'd probably make as much in arbitration, and isn't it important to keep one's players happy too?

For someone who says they aren't all about the bottom line GF, that post says differently

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    For someone who says they aren't all about the bottom line GF, that post says differently
    What do you mean?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

With Doumit's bat, the Pirates are most likely saving money in his arbitration years.