Thread: Freddy Sanchez is OK

MLB ERA

Freddy Sanchez is OK

ESPN.com story

Sanchez expected to start despite limited spring
    Second baseman Freddy Sanchez is expected to begin the season Monday with the Pittsburgh Pirates despite a sore right shoulder that limited him to playing defense in only two major league exhibition games this spring training.

Sanchez played in a minor league game Friday and planned to do so again Saturday before flying with the team to Atlanta for Monday night's opener. He also has the option of playing in another minor league game Sunday before rejoining the team.Despite having trouble all month throwing the ball, the 2006 NL batting champion batted .364 average with 10 RBIs in exhibition games, mostly as a designated hitter.
    Sanchez was held out of the Pirates' final two spring training games Friday and Saturday to protect the team in case he has a setback. If he unexpectedly must go on the disabled list, they could backdate the move to his last major league exhibition appearance on March 21, meaning he could return shortly after the season starts.
    "As we sit here, he should be ready to go Monday," general manager Neal Huntington said.
    Sanchez has no trouble hitting or running, but has had pain when throws the ball with velocity or from an awkward angle.
    However, Sanchez told Huntington he's found an arm slot he is comfortable throwing from and doesn't cause as much pain.
    "We're optimistic," Huntington said.
    Also, left-hander Paul Maholm was scratched from his scheduled start Friday against the Twins because of lower back stiffness, though manger John Russell said he would have started if it had been a regular season game.
    "It's the second to last game of spring training," Huntington said. "There's no need to push anything."
    Maholm threw the ball in the outfield Friday, will throw a bullpen session Sunday and a simulated game Tuesday before making his first start on Saturday, April 5, at Florida. Zach Duke will swap spots in the rotation and start Thursday, when Maholm was to have pitched against the Braves.
    Maholm had his best start of spring training on Sunday, pitching six shutout innings against the Yankees.
    Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
    His shoulder should hold up, and he's on the rehab path. Good news for the team here.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Freddy Sanchez is OK

Awesome, now maybe the Pirates will stink a little bit less! lol I'm sorry Pirates fans, but this team isn't that good. I will admit though, I do love Ian Snell

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Freddy Sanchez is OK

It was great news when they found out he didn't need surgery, even better news that he's trying to play, althoug it's kinda scary that he's still having pain. We need Freddy at 100% by May to have a chance to finish higher than 5th, so...

*prays*

And one more thing, I'm now even more glad that Bautista beat out Castillo last year for the 3B job, because I doubt Freddy would get to start the season with the team if he were playing 3B, and not 2B.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Freddy Sanchez is OK

good for the Pirates!!! I dont like seeing any team loose players. It makes for better competition.