View Poll Results: Who was the Pirates pitcher of the year?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Salomon Torres94 games, 3-6, 3.28 ERA, 1.46 WHIP, 72 K, 38 BB, 12 Saves(13 ops))

1 12.50%
  • Matt Capps(85 games, 9-1, 3.79 ERA, 1.15 WHIP 56 K, 12 BB, 1 Save)

3 37.50%
  • Mike Gonzalez(54 games, 3-4, 2.17 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 64 K, 31 BB, 24 Saves(24 ops))

4 50.00%

Thread: Pirates Wrap Up(Poll Included)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Pirates Pirates Wrap Up(Poll Included)

THE GOOD

The Pirates Fans - With the all star game, and the support of Sanchez and Bay and the awesome atmosphere at PNC Park, I'm proud to be a Pirates fan, despite the lack of winning.

Freddy Sanchez - From bench player to batting title, Sanchez hit .344 with 6 HR and 86 RBIs this season and overtook the third baseman job from Joe Randa, who was injured early in the year. Sanchez, who wasn't even seen as a starting option a third in the offseason, turned in one of the best performances in recent Pirate history, and developed the biggest fan following on the Pittsburgh team.

Jason Bay - In his last three seasons with Pittsburgh, Jason Bay has 93 homers and 36 stolen bases. Oh yeah, he's missed 3 games in his Pirates career, and has been projected to win a gold glove as well. Quiet, effient, all star starter.

Mike Gonzalez - 24 for 24 in save ops, when coming into the season he had 0 career saves. Not a bad first season as a closer for the Boom. In Gonzalez's first three seasons, his highest ERA is 2.7 and his career mark is 2.37 with a 1.22 ERA.

Matt Capps - The surprising Georgia boy made the team out of spring training to the surprise of nearly everyone in Pittsburgh. The results were awesome, 9-1, 3.79 ERA, 56-12 K to BB ratio, with a 1.15 WHIP. And he's only 23 years old.

Salomon Torres - Steady and reliable. Torres tied a Pirates record by pitching in 94 games, with a 3.28 ERA and 12 saves. Torres resigned for a cheap price to stay on for 2007, despite the fact that he probably would've gotten much more money on the open market.

Ronny Paulino - Rookie season, .310, 6 HR, 55 RBI. Solid defensive catcher, decent arm. Can't ask for much more for a guy who, pretty much, stole the job from Ryan Doumit in May.

THE AVERAGE

Chris Duffy - Duffy came on in September to hit .336 with 2 HR and 12 SB's after struggling the entire through his April term and most of August. Duffy will likely continue to be the Pirates leadoff hitter in 2007.

The Other Infielders - Jose Castillo, Jack Wilson, Joe Randa, Xavier Nady and Jose Bautista weren't bad at all this season, but nothing spectacular. Wilson never played up to his contract worth, but his defense at short is second to none, and probably the best in the NL. Castillo and Baustista were solid, if unspectacular for the most part of the season. Nady started hot after being brought in at the trade deadline, but fizzled down to only hitting .300 with 3 HR for the Pirates.

The Young Pitching - Despite Zach Duke's mild disappointment, the pitching was solid, for a bunch if young guys. Snell was probably the best pitcher, with Duke following and Maholm third, but all had their solid days. Gorzelanny, Sharpless and Grabow showed some promise as well.

Jim Tracy and Jim Coulbourn - I'm still undecided whether they were average or bad at this point, so maybe I'll pick this up at another time.

THE BAD

The Front Office: Shawn Chacon is all you got for Craig Wilson? Xavier Nady for Roberto Hernandez AND Oliver Perez? Who in the hell is Brian Rogers? I could go on and on, but we've already been through this. And who's to blame for that damn Jeremy Burnitz contract?

AWARDS

Most Valuable Player: Freddy Sanchez. The batting title out of nowhere is enough for me.

Hitter of the Year: Jason Bay. Sanchez's power stats aren't quiet high enough for him to get this award, too.

Pitcher of the Year: I'm going to put this one up for vote, because I can't pick. It's either Capps, Gonzalez or Torres in my mind. Torres' save ops number is only for games after Gonzalez was injured. His setup man blown saves were not included.

Rookie of the Year: Ronny Paulino. Can't ask for anything more from Ronny this year.

Disappointment of the Year: Oliver Perez. I've covered this a couple hundred times. Jim Tracy, Ryan Doumit and Nate McLouth are other guys that were disappointments to me.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I liked Capps this year. He is young and as you said a pleasant surprise. I think he definitely has the makeup to have a bright future in the Bucs organization.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Anyone going to break the tie here?

MLB ERA
    I did.