View Poll Results: Who will win #5 spot?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • J.A. Happ

2 20.00%
  • Kyle Kendrick

5 50.00%
  • Carlos Carrasco

2 20.00%
  • Chan Ho Park

1 10.00%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who will win the #5 spot?

Rookie ERA

Phillies Who will win the #5 spot?

Happ, Carrasco, Kendrick, Park? Anyone else?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Who will win the #5 spot?

I like Carlos Carrasco myself. If he can further develop that changeup and use it mixed it with his plus fastball, he could have a lot of success. The scouting I've read on him is usually very positive and many believe he is a very mature pitcher for his age. There might be some rough patches with him, as you would expect with any 21/22 year old, but his stuff would make up for it in the end. Plus his brief stint in AAA was electric, showing he can both punch them out and keep the ball in the park's walls.

MLB ERA

I say Kyle Kendrick grabs the spot to start, but it could definitely change, and he will be on a very short leash. I don't see such a young guy like Carrasco start the season in the rotation, but he could be up quick
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

If it were me, I might start the year with Carrasco, just because he actually has a chance to be a part of the team for the long run. Kendrick and Happ are mediocre, and will be the kind of pitcher to be traveling from AAA to MLB a bunch of times this season. Park is best served as a reliever as he proved last year. So, I might give Carrasco a shot...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree that Kendrick is a very likely choice and Carrasco is at best, an outside shot. However I am basing my opinion on who I think could get the job done the best and I am no fan of Kendrick's. His control was completely lost last season, he is hittable, doesn't have a punchout pitch and so forth. He could have simply had the sophmore slump, which is common for young pitchers, but I personally think it was more a matter of the league adjusting to him. Of course if he finds his control again, he'd be alright considering what is expected of the 5th spot.

I am sure the Phillies would like Carrasco to get 20 AAA starts under his belt before testing him in the majors.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    I agree that Kendrick is a very likely choice and Carrasco is at best, an outside shot. However I am basing my opinion on who I think could get the job done the best and I am no fan of Kendrick's. His control was completely lost last season, he is hittable, doesn't have a punchout pitch and so forth. He could have simply had the sophmore slump, which is common for young pitchers, but I personally think it was more a matter of the league adjusting to him. Of course if he finds his control again, he'd be alright considering what is expected of the 5th spot.

I am sure the Phillies would like Carrasco to get 20 AAA starts under his belt before testing him in the majors.
    I pretty much agree completely. The most LIKELY scenario is probably Kendrick, because Happ just isn't that good, and Park is more of a bullpen guy at this point. I just think that Carrasco is the future, and as soon as they determine he's ready, he should be in the rotation over those other options.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Happ is going to win it giving the Phillies three lefties in the rotation. Ljshorty thinks Happ isn't that good and that's what I say about Kendrick. Happ makes people swing and miss, Kendrick doesn't.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I think Happ is going to win it giving the Phillies three lefties in the rotation. Ljshorty thinks Happ isn't that good and that's what I say about Kendrick. Happ makes people swing and miss, Kendrick doesn't.
    I don't think Happ is that good....I don't think Kendrick is that good either, but they've given Kendrick more chances, so clearly they're thinking of Kendrick is higher than that of Happ. I personally would go with Carrasco (if he's judged to be ready), but Kendrick and Happ are close enough to me, that neither one is head and shoulders above the other.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think after Kendrick's awful '08 performance, the Phillies are willing to change their minds on him. Happ had one bad year and that was at AAA. He made adjustments and rebounded for a good '08 season at AAA. 151 K's in 131 IP with 48 walks and a 3.60 ERA is pretty good to me. The he got called up and did a decent job. Happ turned heads while Kendrick hung his.

MLB ERA

Fair point. But Kendrick sucked most of last year, and the Phils still kept him in there instead of giving Happ the chance. They may change their minds, but they seem to have some reason for giving Kendrick all these opportunities...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Happ did get a chance and helped them get in the post season. There is alos a reason Happ pitched in the post season while Kendrick wasn't on the roster.

MLB ERA

Happ got a chance, but Kendrick got like 4. Happ is, in my mind, a similar level pitcher to Kendrick, so either one is fine. I just feel like they'll end up going with Kendrick.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Kendrick got four? Explain.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It'll be Chan Ho Park. He was throwing 95 mph in the few starts that he had last year. Plus, he's a gamer who doesn't take a game off and doesn't take a pitch off.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

J.A. Happ yielded one run in three innings Thursday while working in relief against the Rays.
    Happ's ERA increased slightly to 2.45, but it was another relatively positive outing for him. It's looking like either he or Chan Ho Park will get the nod as the Phillies' fifth starter.
    I still think Happ will win out. I just don't think park can handle a whole season and is better used in the pen. Kendrick is having a rough spring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast