Thread: Myers named Opening Day Starter

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Myers named Opening Day Starter

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said Tuesday that Brett Myers will start on Opening Day, opting for the right-hander over rising star Cole Hamels.

Myers also opened the season last year, but moved to the bullpen in mid-April when injuries began to decimate the relief corps.

"We're trying to set up our rotation the way we want," said Manuel, whose team clinched a playoff berth last year with Hamels' emergence as an ace and Myers at the back end of the bullpen.

"I did talk to Hamels; I felt like I should talk to him and he seemed like he definitely was OK with it," Manuel said. "I told him he was our No. 1 last year and he had a big year, but that's the way we wanted our rotation to line up."
    Spring Training Blog

Check our daily spring training blog with updates on everything our team of writers and analysts are seeing and hearing at the ballpark, plus news tidbits from around the baseball world. Blog

Philadelphia was scheduled to play Florida State on Tuesday night but the exhibition game was rained out.

Myers made just three starts last year. He struck out nine in 7 2/3 innings in last year's opener against the Atlanta Braves, picking up a no-decision. He worked 7 2/3 innings total in his next two starts, allowing a combined 13 earned runs in two losses.

Hamels earned his first All-Star berth last year and became the quickest Phillies pitcher to reach 15 wins since Curt Schilling in 1999.

Despite missing a month with a mild left elbow strain in mid-August, the 24-year-old lefty went 15-5 with a 3.39 ERA and struck out 177 batters in 183 1/3 innings in his first full season with the Phillies.

Myers said he was surprised and honored by the news.

"Hamels had a great year last year; it's going to be hard for me to take over the No. 1 spot when he had that year last year," he said. "I'm going to have to work that much harder to earn that spot."

Prior to last year, when 48 of his 51 appearances came out of the bullpen, Myers was used exclusively as a starter. In six seasons, he has compiled a 59-47 record with a 4.34 ERA. In 2005 and 2006, he finished in the top five in the National League in strikeouts -- fifth in 2006 with 189 and third in 2005 with 208.

Myers also threw the last pitch of the regular season at Citizens Bank Park in 2007 when the Phillies clinched their first division title in 14 years on Sept. 30 against Washington.
    Charlie Manuel is a moron.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Myers named Opening Day Starter

terrible decision. cole hamels is your ace. make it known.

In sports, competition is usually a good thing. In this case, it's stupid. Myers and Hamels should not be competing for a #1 spot, putting extra pressure on themselves. Make Hamels your #1 like a smart human being, and make Myers fill the role at #2, and tell them both not to compete, to just do their job at their respective position. Competition in this case is just a confidence killer and a pressure builder.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I'm not sure about that. I think it very well could be a motivation for them...the problem however, is that the Phillies are showing ZERO loyalty to the only pitcher who was any form of consistent in their rotation last year. I am a huge mets fan, and I can't stand either one of them, but Hamels HAS to be their ace.

Phillies: World Series!!!
    Rookie ERA

Nah its a good move on their part. First off, it tells Myers that even with Lidge injured he's going to be a starter. He's been saying that he's willing to stay in the pen, but they need to get that out of his head. Secondly, It allows them to go RLRLR in terms of rotation. I think they prefer the rotation that way to break up Myers and Kendrick from starting back to back.

Its really not a big deal. If someone gets really pissed off about something like this, they have problems. Cole's good, but people also have to remeber he's still young and less experienced than Myers. Myers also started last years opening day and he's had some good seasons starting in the past. So its really not a big deal.

Besides, everyone knows Hamels is the true ace, its not gong to create competition to the point it creates pressure either. Hamels and Myers are pals, so I think they'll have a little fun with it. I think you all are blowing it out of proportion.
    Yeah I don't really exist anymore
    Molina - Twins
    TSSL - A's
    TBL - A's
    PSL - Denver
    Fail Nobra