Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Random A's Ramblings

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    per ESPN.com:

The A's have used the disabled list nine times this year. They used it eight times all last year.

It's amazing we're in better shape this year compared to last year...it just shows the depth we have this season...as I've said before, all we need to do is stay close and make the playoffs at the end...the goal is to make the playoffs and if we can everyone healthy in September we'll be in good shape to make a serious run.

He has pitched better since coming off the DL. he won't be a great pitcher for us but I think he'll chew up alot of innings and have an era around 4.00. So I think he'll keep us in most games he pitches. Every article I have read hasn't said how much over the limit he was. Every article you read about someone getting a dui it says how much over the limit he was. One thing I'm wandering what was he doing out at 3:30 in the morning. I have no problem driving 120. Since I would do the same with that car. But not at 3:30 in the morning when I had been drinking.

MLB ERA
    per rotowire (from SF Chronicle):

Jun 15 Harden (elbow) hopes to be back right after the All-Star break, the San Francisco Chronicle reports.

Recommendation: This is the first time line of any sort we've received from the always-cryptic A's medical staff: "The doctors are really happy with how it looks, and with the MRI and some tests they did," Harden said. "Everyone made it out to be so bad. That's not what our doctors think." Bringing Harden back immediately after the All-Star break would mean he would have been sidelined right at five weeks.

MLB ERA
    per rotowire again:

Jun 16 Harden (elbow) could resume throwing late next week after team doctors determined the ligament sprain wasn't as severe as initially thought, the Contra Costa Times reports.

Recommendation: The A's are going to be cautious here, so we still expect Harden to remain sidelined until the All-Star break but the news continues to get more encouraging for Harden.

good news...but they're right, there is no rush...especially since we're streaking right now.

MLB ERA
    for ADH from the A's site:

Davis said that Chavez has been playing with back pain and a small tear in a muscle tendon that connects the hamstring to the rear end.

"He has had pain since the beginning of the season," Davis said. "That's what you do in this game. Nobody is going to feel good from the beginning of the year until the end. Certain guys play with certain levels of pain.

"You know that Eric is compensating and creating soreness in other areas. But he has been able to tolerate it and still play at a high level."

MLB ERA
    So is Chavez going to play through it?

MLB ERA
    he has been since spring training the rest of the article said; sorry. I posted that as a continuation of a conversation ADH and I were having in a game thread. He pointed out had Chavez had been struggling recently and I said he's had some nagging injuries that he's been playing through.

MLB ERA
    Karsay retied today after getting his 1st win in almost 4 years...

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...=.jsp&c_id=oak

A's Steve Karsay Announces Retirement

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Steve Karsay had the rare luxury of beginning and ending his career with the same club.

Karsay announced his retirement from the Oakland Athletics on Sunday, one day after pitching the A's to victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in 17 innings with two innings of work -- his first victory since Sept. 11, 2002, with the New York Yankees.

"Sometimes you dig down deep and see what the future holds and what you want to do," Karsay said after Oakland's 10th straight victory, 5-2 over the Dodgers. "This is just a piece of my life."

The 34-year-old Karsay finishes his 11-year big league career with a 32-39 record, with 41 saves and a 4.01 ERA in 357 appearances and 40 starts.

"He's had a great career," catcher Jason Kendall said. "I wish him the best. He went out the way you want to go out."

He had been thinking about this decision since shortly after being called up from Triple-A Sacramento on May 16 and spoke Friday to general manager Billy Beane, who asked the right-hander to stick around through the weekend.

"I'm glad he talked me into staying," Karsay said.

Karsay never fully recovered from a right shoulder injury that cost him the 2003 season with the Yankees. He had surgery and only pitched in seven games in 2004.

He spent seven stints on the disabled list in his career.

"Every player knows when it's time," said Karsay, who would like to stay involved in baseball at the front-office level. "I don't want to go out there and embarrass myself and be the guy who's just trying to hold on."

Calling it quits now had nothing to do with his performance Saturday night, though Karsay acknowledged it was nice to end things on a high note. After the 16th inning Saturday, he offered money to the player who drove in the winning run. Bobby Crosby drew a bases-loaded walk in the 5-4 win.

"Crosby will have a check," Karsay said.

Karsay was drafted by the Toronto Blue Jays 22nd overall in the first round of the 1990 draft, then made his major league debut three years later for the A's. He pitched for Oakland from '93-94, again in 1997 and returned to the A's in a trade with Cleveland last month.

Along with the A's, Indians and Yankees, Karsay pitched for Atlanta and Texas.

"He felt like it was a good time," A's outfielder Bobby Kielty said. "He's a good player and still throwing 95 mph. He wants to retire on a good note, which he did."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

MLB ERA
    this was posted in the random ramblings thread already...thanks though

MLB ERA
    A's sign Scott Sauerbeck

he'll join the team today in Colorado...I can only assume that when Kennedy comes of the DL, Flores will be sent back to AAA assuming Sauerbeck is pitching well...he basically takes Karsay's roster spot.

MLB ERA

Bradley is back on the DL retroactive to 6/15...Doug Clark was called up. Kazuhito Tadano was DFA to open a spot on the 40 man roster for Clark. Clark was batting .290 with 5 homers, 17 steals, 31 RBIs, and 45 runs so far.

MLB ERA
    Duke is back from the DL, Witasick is back on the DL, and Tadano cleared waivers and was sent to Sacramento.

MLB ERA

Thomas expects to be off the DL on the 30th like I said

MLB ERA

Ellis is going to start a rehab assignment on Monday for Sacramento.

Chavez is out today. Street and Calero are unavailable. Saarloos should see some action out of the pen today.

Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast