Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005/2006 A's offseason thread

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Its too much money but he did a good job for the A's in the second half and should have been picked up.

MLB ERA
    I like Jay and I was hoping that we would bring him back because Kielty sucks in the outfield.

MLB ERA
    That is a pretty expensive option for the A's. Hope this isn't a Hatteberg-type deal, where the A's make a deal because it's the easiest thing to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Good move. Hopefully this is Payton's job to lose once ST starts

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

MLB ERA
    not really much going on right now...just talk of Washington returning if he doesn't get a managerial job as he's still under contract.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Is anyone else looking at Washington to manage their team?

MLB ERA
    I'm not sure...I think the Devil Dogs?

MLB ERA

Dotel Files; Team Quiet / Minor League Players of the Year

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...PGTMFFHIA1.DTL

Octavio Dotel was among the first group of players to declare free agency on Thursday. The A's now have 15 days with exclusive rights to negotiate with their former closer, who had season-ending ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow in early June.

Not only does it appear unlikely that the A's will re-sign Dotel, but it's also unlikely that they will receive a compensation draft pick for losing him to free agency, because they would have to offer him arbitration in order to receive the pick. Coming off major surgery, he'd be too much of a risk to take to arbitration, where he'd still gain a hefty salary after making $4.75 million in 2005.

"I don't think Oakland is going to call,'' Dotel said by phone from Atlanta, where he is rehabbing his elbow. "They have 15 days to talk to O.D., but they don't even act like they want to call.''

Dotel's agent, Dan Horwits, confirmed that he has not spoken to A's GM Billy Beane about Dotel.

After deciding on surgery, Dotel had offered to play for the A's for free in 2006, but that's not something the Players Association would allow. And there should be plenty of interest in him, because Dotel could be a bargain, especially if offered an incentive-laden contract with an option year, so he can prove he is healthy.

Dotel said on Thursday he is throwing from a distance of 60 feet already, will move to 75 feet next week and will throw off a mound starting in December. He believes he will be completely healthy in time for spring training.

Like Dotel, DH Erubiel Durazo is also coming off elbow surgery and made too much last season ($4.7 million) to consider offering him arbitration, so that's another lost compensation pick for Oakland, which is not expected to bring Durazo back.

The A's are exploring new deals for two other relievers who are eligible for free agency, left-hander Ricardo Rincon and right-hander Jay Witasick.

The team has seven days to decide whether to pick up Scott Hatteberg's $2.7 million option for 2006; the A's could buy out the DH's option for $250,000. Beane has been in contact with Hatteberg and there is some possibility the deal might be reworked.

Infielder Keith Ginter, who was taken off the Oakland roster last week, has accepted a minor-league assignment (it was that or declare free agency and forfeit his $1.06 million salary for 2006). If he is not traded, Ginter is expected to be a non-roster invitee this spring.

The A's recognized two of their minor-leaguers on Thursday, naming outfielder Andre Ethier, 23, and pitcher Dallas Braden, 22, the organizational players of the year. Ethier, the Texas League Player of the Year, is currently hitting .378 in the Arizona Fall League. Braden was a combined 15-5 with a 3.52 ERA at Class-A Stockton and Double-A Midland.

MLB ERA
    Bye bye Dotel.

See ya Durazo.

Please leave Hatteberg...

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Am I misreading this (which could be very possible since I had about 5 hours sleep) or does Dotel refer to himself in the third person?
    "I don't think Oakland is going to call,'' Dotel said by phone from Atlanta, where he is rehabbing his elbow. "They have 15 days to talk to O.D., but they don't even act like they want to call.''

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I love when sports stars talk about themselves in the third person. Rickey Henderson being the best, naturally. Ricky be Ricky.

MLB ERA
    I guess he is talking about himself in the 3rd person...using his initials: O.D.

P.A. says C-ya ya bum

MLB ERA
    C-Ya later gas can. Does anyone think those blown saves didn't hurt us later in the year?

And Rincon? Uh gawd, I look forward to him leaving a mess on the bases again this year. As for Hatteberg, he might be ok depth on the bench but that's it.

We HAVE to get a solid, right handed cleanup hitter or it will be more of the same next year.

MLB ERA
    I think the A's will make a trade or two to improve for next year. Supposedly, the A's are willing to listen to offers for Zito.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PGG7FGDGN1.DTL

The A's will listen to offers for Barry Zito: Not this again. Few expected general manager Billy Beane to trade Tim Hudson and, especially, Mark Mulder, but Beane doesn't turn away from the unexpected -- didn't he take back Ken Macha? -- and that might be truer than ever now that he's associated with owner Lewis Wolff, an out-of-the-box guy himself.

Zito is entering the final year of his contract (Hudson was dealt to Atlanta entering the final year of his contract) and could fetch what the A's need most, a big-time right-handed hitter to complement Eric Chavez. With Rich Harden, Dan Haren and Joe Blanton in the fold, the rotation would be solid with or without Zito.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast