Thread: Chavez: a back injury away from being done

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

A's Chavez: a back injury away from being done

Eric Chavez of Oakland Athletics has herniated disk; next back injury could end career - ESPN

Eric Chavez has a herniated disk in his back and the next time the Oakland Athletics third baseman throws it out, his career is likely over, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

Chavez, who was once among the game's brightest young stars, has played sporadically over the past few seasons due to various injuries. When he has played, he's often played hurt.

Now, Chavez, who is rehabbing in Arizona and hoping to rejoin the team on its next homestand, is facing a tenuous playing future. According to the report, doctors have told him that the disk could go at any time. He learned it was herniated last week, when his back went out when he stood up from a chair.
    well, I guess NYGF and the naysayers were right; Chavez will never be healthy enough to contribute significantly. he's done. I'm sorry, but if he hurt his back this time just getting out of a chair and the doctors say if he hurts it again, then he's BBQ'd...then he's done. I can't envision a scenario where he doesn't hurt it again given how it was reinjured. this is worse than the time Harden hurt his shoulder reaching to turn off the friggin alarm clock.

MLB ERA

Re: Chavez: a back injury away from being done

Guy's had a great career, but it's time to hang it up. No reason to risk the rest of your livelihood on trying to keep playing, unless he needs like drug money or something.

I give him a ton of credit for stickin with it for as long as he has.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I'm sure the A's can get some of the money back with the insurance, but I know his contract is guaranteed through 2010 with an option for 2011. needless to say, they won't pick up that option, but I believe they're on the hook for the rest unless he retired. I don't see him doing that until the contract has run its course, but who knows.
    Last edited by Providence A's; 05-20-2009 at 12:58 AM.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Its really a shame that this guy is a sneeze away from being done. But even if this wasn't a problem, Chavez has played so little in the last few seasons that he would just be a shell of himself, at best. His pitch recognition has to be near obsolete after all this time.