Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Surgery For Chavez

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: More Surgery For Chavez

whether or not he is productive when he returns doesn't really matter and only time will tell.

The A's will not cut him because then they have to pay him anyway so they might as well keep him and see if he can earn some of the money instead of just giving it to him.

He will not retire because then he'll forfeit the remainder of his salary. No one is stupid and no one would do that. And I'm sure in his mind he feels he can come back since he's only 30 years old.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jfdeuce View Post
    He sucked before the injuries
    He did? That's news to me. He may have never hit well for average, but his power numbers were there.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsfan5689 View Post
    I wouldn't go that far...
    A career batting avg of .269 and OPS of .830 is not very good. Those numbers would be ok if he hit more homers and drove in more runs. He has never hit more than 34 HR and never had more than 114 RBI in a year. I'm still wandering why Billy Beane chose to keep Chavvy over Miggy Miggy had been more durable and hit more homers and drove in more runs. Signing Chavvy over Miggy was one of the big mistakes Beane has made. I never understood why Beane was so high on Chavvy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Eric Chavez underwent successful surgery on his arm Wednesday.
    Chavez had thought that his labrum might be too damaged to repair, but the A's trainer said that he should be "ready to go" after six months. Still, his days as a third baseman may be over: the team could look to make him a DH or a first baseman.
    They chose Chavez over Miguel Tejada because they knew Miggy was older than he said and was rumored to have taken steroids, even back then. Chavez was a GG defender who had some pop. He was not a terrible hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    They chose Chavez over Miguel Tejada because they knew Miggy was older than he said and was rumored to have taken steroids, even back then. Chavez was a GG defender who had some pop. He was not a terrible hitter.
    He was not a good hitter either. He had a few ok years. Not good years. Plus everybody seems to forget what has chavvy done when the team needed him most? Look at his postseason numbers now those are terrible. .640 OPS in 27 games.

So Miggy was a few years older than he said. Atleast he's on the field everyday.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No one can predict injuries and I do remember Miggy costing the A's a playoff game thanks to just wonderful baserunning. Eric was signed mainly for his GG defense which always helps Beane's baby, the pitching. Old guys rumored of steroid use aren't what Beane is about. That's why Miggy and Giambi are gone.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No one can predict injuries and I do remember Miggy costing the A's a playoff game thanks to just wonderful baserunning. Eric was signed mainly for his GG defense which always helps Beane's baby, the pitching. Old guys rumored of steroid use aren't what Beane is about. That's why Miggy and Giambi are gone.
    Bingo (just don't remind me about that stupid game. GAH. And OMG Jeremy Giambi...don't even get me started).

Beane never likes to keep players who have/are/will be controversial players (in terms of off-field issues). There have been a few that have slipped under the radar, but for the most part Beane likes to keep the clubhouse free of guys like that. We've always been a young ballclub in terms of age, and I guess having people who were/are involved in stuff like that would be a big distraction to the young guys.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Oh yeah...he underwent the surgery Wednesday and will be out for six months. The surgery was a anterior labral repair and a lesion repair, along with a biceps tendon transposition (whatever the hell that means). But the surgery was a success, so now it's up to fate (and Father Time) to see the results of this surgery.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12