Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blanton reportedly traded to Phillies

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Trade Blanton reportedly traded to Phillies

I am getting this from somewhere else. But you guys got:

2B Adrian Cardenas, LHP Josh Outman and OF Matt Spencer. Cardenas was a very good pick up. He is hitting .309/.374/.444 in High-A ball.

I think this is a winner for the A's. Nice work!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Blanton reportedly traded to Phillies

rotoworld says Cardenas is the top 2B spec...very good if that's true. see you later sweet cuppin' cakes!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Once again, Beane knows when to cut a guy loose. The way Blanton has pitched this year, I do not see him helping the Phillies much.

MLB ERA

It makes sense for the Phillies to trade there "top 2b prospect" since they have Utley. So I like this deal on both ends.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Beane should have lowered his asking price this winter, he would have gotten a better haul. That isn't to say that the players in the deal (Cardenas) aren't good pieces to add to the system, but Blanton had higher value in the offseason and I don't think many bought the 2007 effort as the "real" Blanton.

Not a bad deal for eitherside though.

MLB ERA

Top 2B prospect in high-A is damning with faint praise. His defense must be awful.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    It makes sense for the Phillies to trade there "top 2b prospect" since they have Utley. So I like this deal on both ends.
    yes, but the article I read didn't say he was the Phillies top 2B spec...it said top 2B spec period. Whether or not that is true remains to be seen. He definitely was their #2 spec behind Carrasco. It also mentioned that it was easy to part with him because of Utley. The pitcher will be a starter again, but control is an issue with him. And the OF spec has struggled from what I've read. The 2B spec appears to be the main target here with a hope that other guys do something.

With this trade and the signing of Weeks (and trade of Patterson to a lesser extent) I think Ellis will either be traded or gone as a FA after the season.

MLB ERA

here is the rotoworld link that says Cardenas is the top 2B spec in the minors.

Adrian Cardenas

Not a bad return. Cardenas is the top pure second-base prospect in the minors, and with Mark Ellis eligible for free agency at season's end, he provides additional protection beyond Eric Patterson
    Cardenas was the top second-base prospect in the minors. The 20-year-old was hitting .309/.374/.444 with 16 steals in 16 attempts for Single-A Clearwater. He was expendable in Philly with Chase Utley ahead of him, but he could be a starter for the A's in 2010 if Mark Ellis departs. The left-handed hitter could bat .300 with 15 homers per year in the majors.
    I'll take it. I was never a huge fan of Blanton. I wish him luck, but he's going to a tougher park.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I kinda like it for both teams. I have a feeling Blanton will pitch well in Philly. The A's fans certainly can't be disappointed with any of these moves Beane makes at this point, can they?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Top 2B prospect in high-A is damning with faint praise. His defense must be awful.
    Yeah damn those 20 yr olds playing in Single A!! Who does that??

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    yes, but the article I read didn't say he was the Phillies top 2B spec...it said top 2B spec period. Whether or not that is true remains to be seen. He definitely was their #2 spec behind Carrasco. It also mentioned that it was easy to part with him because of Utley. The pitcher will be a starter again, but control is an issue with him. And the OF spec has struggled from what I've read. The 2B spec appears to be the main target here with a hope that other guys do something.

With this trade and the signing of Weeks (and trade of Patterson to a lesser extent) I think Ellis will either be traded or gone as a FA after the season.
    It doesn't matter if he is a top 2b prospect overall, they have Utley so it makes sense to trade him. Plus after he gets called up by the A's in a few years(dont mean to take shots at the A's organization), it aint like he's going to stay with Oakland, there eventually going to trade him away for more prospects.

MLB ERA

I never said it didn't make sense Of course that made him tradable to them. My point was he's better than just "the Phillies top 2B"...he's the top 2B spec period. That was my point; not that the Phillies should have kept him or needed him or anything like that. Just that he's better than just their top 2B.

and no, once the A's get a new stadium, they'll be able to keep more players. Regardless, once he's called up he'd be under control for 6 full service years.

MLB ERA

And where did I say that YOU think it doesn't make any sense?

Yea by saying "top 2b prospect" what that based off of? I have seen plenty of "top prospects" who dont do shit in the Majors, so just because scouts are saying he's a "top 2b prospect" that only means he has potential, when he does something then we will know who really got the better end of this trade.

MLB ERA

your post made it seem like I didn't understand...because you stated they traded him because of Utley. It doesn't matter. It's a good trade for the A's. As I said, it remains to be seen if he's the best 2B spec and that also doesn't mean he'll pan out. But it's better than getting someone lesser.

MLB ERA

Yeah okay, your overeacting like you always do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast