Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A's vs Rays; 3-game set

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

A's vs Rays; 3-game set

Ok so I know that I'm a little late on this, but hey, atleast I remembered to do it.

5-19-08
    Shields vs Blanton

Shields is one of the young pitching phenoms for the Rays team. He's absolutely lights out at home, but on the road his ERA skyrockets and his records plummet. He's 2-1 in three career starts vs the A's and has a 4.05 ERA. Blanton was the hard-luck loser again when he faced Sabathia and the Indians. Our offense let him down again, despite him scattering 2 runs over 7+ innings. If we can get a good amount of runs on the board early, then this game should be ours.

5-20-08
    Kazmir vs Smith

Kazmir was insanely dominant in his last start vs the Yankees, and he's looking to build upon that great performance against the A's. Smith failed to pitch into the 6th inning for just the second time all season. His knack for allowing first-inning runs continues to plague him, however we have only scored one run in his past four starts, so we're not helping our own cause either.

5-21-08
    Sonnanstine vs Eveland

Sonnanstine pitched a great game vs the Cards his last time out. He's 1-0 with a 3.60 ERA vs the A's. He has had problems in the past with pitch sequences and when to throw what pitch, so working the count and driving his pitch count up could run him out of the game early. Eveland pitched great in his last start up until the 6th inning, when he allowed 2 runs and ended up getting a no decision. Eveland has been having control issues as of late, and has not won a game since April 25.

Ok well we are currently losing tonite's game 4-3. Blanton is really having to labor through each AB. Game 2 looks to be another great pitcher's duel and could go either way. Game 3...I have no idea. I guess it could go either way, though if our offense can wake up I think we can pull out a series win.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: A's vs Rays; 3-game set

TIE GAME! Thomas homers and ties up the game at 4-4. Right now we've got a runner on first, Brown at the plate, and two down. Let's get some late-inning magic!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Now it's a not-tie game...Iwamura doubles Barlett home in the top of the 7th against Devine. I'm praying for a rally now...we have got to get this win after a not-so-good (2-7) roadtrip. 5-4 Rays in the top of the 8th.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Off-topic now...Murphy was placed on the 15-day DL with right elbow inflammation. Braden was the player called up (and is actually warming up in the bullpen as we speak).

Hopefully Foulke can keep this a one-run game...he's run up a 3-0 count against Bartlett, and with Iwamura up next and Longoria on third, he can't afford to walk him. Full count now...c'mon Foulke!!!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

TIE GAME AGAIN! Ryan Sweeney definately proved that he should be here with a great piece of clutch hitting. A solid single to right ties the game and drives Shields out of the game. Let's keep it going boys!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Love the new avatar! I am actually watching the Office right now. Thomas homers twice and Brown got in on the action.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yes, the Office pwns all other shows on tv right now. Except Mythbusters (a geeky show I know but it's still my fave).

Street is in the game now to try and keep this game at the 5-5 tie. And Davis remains in center, Bowen is the DH, R. Sweeney goes from CF to RF, and E. Brown goes from RF to LF. And Street K's Iwamura. So far, so good.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Street k's Crawford. Threw a heater right by him. Two lefties and two k's. That's just sick!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

HE K'S THE SIDE!!! C'mon A's! The momentum is on our side let's get this one!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

JP Howell is in to replace Glover. Leadoff walk to Barton prompts Maddon to call the pen to have Percival warm up. Suzuki is up now...he successfully sacrifices and moves Barton up to second. Time to prove yourself Petit! It's your time to shine!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

And we're headed to extra-innings. We had a chance there but Petit and Hannahan strike out to end the inning. Street is back out to pitch the 10th...let's shut 'em down and get back into the dugout and end this game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

We lost 7-6 in 13 innings. Barton really made things interesting when he tripled Brown home in the bottom of the 13th, but unfortunately it wasn't enough and we lost.

The pros: Thomas is showing signs of heating up, hitting 2 homers. Brown is continuing his role as an RBI machine and hit a homer as well. Ryan Sweeney also seems to be settling in nicely after going 2 for 6 with an RBI. Street was very impressive in the two innings he pitched, striking out 5 of the 6 batters he faced.

The cons: Out bullpen, which has been pretty consistant for us thus far, wasn't able to keep a lead/tie. Our offense also wasn't able to get that deciding hit in the many opportunities that we had, and in the end it's that that killed us.

Up next - Kazmir vs Smith. Good 'ol fashioned pitchers duel (I hope!).

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

that was a very disappointing game...will the real A's please stand up?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I saw where Eric Chavez had a good rehab game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I saw where Eric Chavez had a good rehab game.
    Yes he did...I don't know if he played today, but he was 2-for-3 yesterday and played five innings of defense. The best part is that he said he felt good and had no ill effects after playing some D.

We, as a team, are not being consistant. Smith pitched a great game (the only real bad part is that he had 4 BBs). Our bullpen isn't being able to hold ties or leads, which is kinda sad because we've been known for so long for having a shutout pen. Tomorrow is the last game of the series, and I'm praying that we can salvage that because the BoSox are coming into town after the Rays leave, and it definately isn't going to get any easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast