Thread: Ok, so what do you want for Haren?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ok, so what do you want for Haren?

Don't tell me that the Reds do not have the players you want. But what would be a good fit? Obviously Mr. Beane is looking for good, cheap, and young talent. Name your price.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Ok, so what do you want for Haren?

The Reds don't have what Beane wants...I haven't read or heard one thing linking the Reds to Haren/Blanton/Street/Harden. It's not even known yet if Haren is even available. Blanton is available supposedly because he's arby eligible. Haren is signed cheaply for the next 3 years...he'll take a lot if Beane makes him available. The Mets probably don't have enough for Haren from what I've read and as far as I can tell they have more of interest prospect-wise than the Reds do. I'm not exactly sure what he'd want, but I'd guess 4 young players/specs for Haren...3 for Blanton I'd guess.

It'd all depend on the quality. Anything the Reds would have of value that Beane would want (Bailey?) would be off limits I'm sure as I doubt the Reds would want to blow their load for 1 player that isn't going to make a difference as they're not really going to be making a playoff run.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

You won't hear the Reds linked to anyone ever. At least while the current front office is in place. That is either a good thing or bad thing, but it sucks for its fans.

So Milledge is more interesting than Hamilton? Gomez more interesting than Bruce? Pelfrey is more interesting than Bailey or even Cueto? Anyone else more interesting than Votto? Very interesting. It is good to see how little people think of Reds prospects. Maybe they are not as good as many are calling them to be? No attack on your opinion bro, I am just considering outside thinking.

A lot of people differ with your opinion on the Reds making a playoff run as well. The Reds are fitting together a pretty nice team. Their biggest problem last season was the bullpen, and it is completely retooled with one signing. Can it get better? Definitely and they aren't done yet.

So, Haren sounds pretty tough to get for sure. But I wouldn't doubt it if Krivsky and Beane are at least interested in eachother's trade blocks. Blanton is a very interesting option as well. And the Reds definitely do have the young talent to trade. It is just a matter of whether there is a fit.

So I guess my next question is what kind of young talent the A's are looking for in return. Outfielders? Infielders? Bullpen?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I never said the Reds prospects weren't interesting...what I meant was that it seems Beane is very interested in the prospects from the Mets and Dodgers from what I've seen. I don't know if he's interested in anyone on the Reds. I know Beane was high on Milledge before, but not so much now. Hamilton isn't even a prospect. Doesn't Votto play 1B? I don't think we need anymore 1Bs. I would doubt Bailey is available anyway.

Sorry, a bullpen is not completely "retooled" with one signing...the guy is a closer. You still need starters, MRs, and setup guys to get to the closer.

I'd guess we'd be looking for specs at 3B, SS, SP, and OF.

Regardless, I don't see a deal with the Reds...just wishful thinking on your part I think.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Definitely just thinking, and I don't see a fit either. I just wanted to see if we could find one. As I said before, you won't be hearing anything about talks with the Reds until the deal is done. Did you hear anything about the Denorfia deal las year before it was done? Yes, that was on a much smaller scale, but the Reds won't even be noted as "interested" in anyone anywhere. If you happen to see them anywhere with that noting, please let us know.

Hamilton isn't a spect, but he is still making next to league minimum and comes extremely cheap which is something that fits the A's for sure. Yes Votto is at 1B, but I was just comparing the Reds young talent to the Mets in that paragraph. Bailey would be available in the right deal for sure. Right now, it is likely that only Phillips and Harang are untouchable. If Beane and Krivsky are talking about Haren, then Bailey is certainly available. Of course I am not allocating Bailey would be enough either.

I definitely used the wrong word saying the bullpen is "retooled." But I did have it right when I said they are not done and still need more for that pen. As far as my wording, I still do believe that Cordero is a major upgrade to a demoralizing bullpen last season. The signing allows Weathers and Burton to move up to the 7th and 8th innings and that will help greatly.

Wishful thinking? No because I haven't put anything together as of yet. I just can't guarantee there isn't a fit here and there has to be some interest in our young talent from across the league. The A's have a commodity that we need and the Reds have the players that normally interest the A's and their payroll. Surely, there is a fit, but there may be a better fit for both teams elsewhere.

As far as what you guess the A's are looking for.

Spect at 3B: I see no fit here. We do have Juan Francisco, but he isn't a sure thing right now.

Spect at SS: We need the same thing.

Spect at SP: We have a few of those. Bailey (not available?), Cueto, Maloney, Wood

Spect at OF: Plenty of those. Stubbs, Bruce (I hope we don't trade him), Hamilton (not a spect, but MLB ready and young raw talent).

Either way though, we would have to package at least 3 of those guys for Blanton and 4 of them for Haren as you said. Could it be done? Yes, but the fit starts to not fit when the price is that high. I guess that would all depend on where the market is if/when Beane decides to trade either of your SPs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Here's what they don't want apparently:

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the A's are no longer as interested in Lastings Milledge and Aaron Heilman as part of a potential trade package for Dan Haren or Joe Blanton.
    According to Rosenthal, the A's don't view Milledge as a long-term option in center field and don't have a large need for corner outfielders. The Mets are reportedly finding it difficult to swing a deal for a front-line starter because other teams don't necessarily value some of their young talent highly.