View Poll Results: Would you want the A's to sign Bonds?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

2 33.33%
  • Hell no!!

4 66.67%
  • I don't care!!!

0 0%

Thread: Bonds

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Bonds

Would you want the A's to sign Bonds?

Bonds and his limited options

The Oakland Athletics could use a big bat, and the San Francisco Bay Area is the only place in America where Barry Bonds is not roundly booed. So, when the A's put together a long list of players worth exploring this winter, they put Bonds' name on the list.

"I can't say there was great interest," A's owner Lew Wolff said.

"We'll wait and see what happens," Wolff said. "An indictment doesn't mean you're guilty, but he'll probably be immersed in a lot of things in the future."
    I don't think it will happen and that it doesn't...I'd be quite angry if it did to be honest.

MLB ERA

Re: Bonds

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - A's pull out of running for Bonds

Rosenthal says the A's are no longer interested in Bonds.

The A's were Barry Bonds' best hope, the team that appeared most interested in signing him.

No more.

The A's, sources say, no longer are considering Bonds, who on Thursday was charged with perjury and obstruction of justice.

The withdrawal of the A's interest virtually ensures that Bonds will be without a team to start next season. If the A's won't take Bonds, probably no club will.

Over the past several weeks, the A's had done their "due diligence" on Bonds, sources say, trying to determine whether he would be indicted while also investigating other concerns.
    :phew:

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

After the indictment, no one is going to sign him. I didn't think anyone would before the indictment to be honest with you. I knew 762 was his last homerun.

MLB ERA

Inside Bay Area - There's little chance A's will sign Bonds

In any case, Billy's reaction to the Bonds talk these days is exasperation. He's heard enough, had enough, wishes it would go away.

If I were him, I'd feel the same way.

Look, signing Bonds would energize part of the clubhouse and excite part of the fan base. It also would deflate part of the clubhouse, disappoint a large segment of the fan base and give manager Bob Geren, who could not cope with Bradley, a new reason to lie awake in the wee hours.

For many reasons, Bonds-to-Oakland doesn't compute. And, no, I'm not at all convinced it would put the A's any closer to their primary goal, that vacant lot in Fremont.
    I agree with Poole here...I just don't think Bonds makes a whole lot of sense for us. I really hope it doesn't happen.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

How funny. I just read an article saying the exact opposite...and after frantically searching the trash I can't find it. It said something about how Bonds was a "perfect fit" for the A's, that he was cheap and old, yet still had enough in him to still knock 'em outta the park. He fits in with the whole Mike Piazza, Frank Thomas, David Justice, the whole "old guy rejuvenation" gig. Plus they said he would platoon with Cust. Do I agree with this? Not really. While Bonds was a great player maybe 10+ years ago, he just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Plus he'll bring a lot of media attention, which, depending on the type, would most likely be bad for us. JMO though.

MLB ERA

I don't think he'd come cheap though...not that I want him regardless.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Of course he wouldn't. He needs as much $$ as he can get to help with all his law troubles.

Turn 2

Hey Brett, I don't think you have to worry about the A's getting involved with Barry Bonds. I believe his career is finally over. Thank God

MLB ERA

Beane defines A's direction toward youth and development - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- Oakland Athletics general manager Billy Beane reiterated Saturday that the movement of his club toward youth and development is a sign home run king Barry Bonds probably isn't in the plans.

"I don't comment on free agents," Beane told the crowd during a question and answer session at A's Fan Fest. "I think we've defined our direction. That's probably the best answer I can give you."

When a man asked the GM about the chances of Bonds moving across the bay to the A's after 15 seasons with San Francisco, dozens of others in the bleachers screamed "No!"
    I sure hope so...it certainly makes sense that we wouldn't go after him. I'd think he'd want to play for a chance at a WS anyway...and we won't be doing that this year

MLB ERA

I wouldn't sign him because of his law troubles and of his age.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

I wouldnt sign him because he is Bonds.